Doesn't like their pellets?

Oreo&Levi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, recently my boys does not finish their pellet bowls overnight. Usually they will finish it close to midnight. Was wondering if this is a normal thing and not to worry cause I see some people say they get bored of it.

Another thing is their weight. Levi gains roughly 15-25g and Oreo gains 10-15g per week. Is this a healthy growing rate for 4.5 months pigs? Levi weights 523g and Oreo 506g. They are consider underweight right?

Pellets are the least important and least healthy part of the diet. They should be kept strictly limited to just one tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day, and should ideally not be left with access to pellets for hours.

To that end, not finishing the pellets is actually a good thing. They need to be filling up on hay, hay and more hay.

There is no weight guide for guinea pigs. Yours would not be considered underweight. As long as they gain weight then that’s absolutely fine.
To gauge whst is healthy for the individual piggy, you check their heft - put your hand around their chest and if you can feel a nice fat layer but still just feel the ribs then that is perfect. If you cannot feel ribs at all, then they are overweight and if you feel the ribs directly with absolutely no fat then that is underweight.

Weight - Monitoring and Management

Pellets are the least important and least healthy part of the diet. They should be kept strictly limited to just one tablespoon of pellets per piggy per day, and should ideally not be left with access to pellets for hours.

To that end, not finishing the pellets is actually a good thing. They need to be filling up on hay, hay and more hay.

There is no weight guide for guinea pigs. Yours would not be considered underweight. As long as they gain weight then that’s absolutely fine.
To gauge whst is healthy for the individual piggy, you check their heft - put your hand around their chest and if you can feel a nice fat layer but still just feel the ribs then that is perfect. If you cannot feel ribs at all, then they are overweight and if you feel the ribs directly with absolutely no fat then that is underweight.

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Oooo I see. Alright thank u so much :tu::tu:

Back