Does This Sound Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi :)
I've thought a lot about cage sizes and I've got a space of around 4 sq foot. (longer than 4ft one way, shorter the other)

My original idea was to make it all fleece so it looked tidy and have some hay racks. But..
My friend has given me her old indoor rabbit cage (disgustingly small for rabbits and guinea pigs) so as I wouldn't use it for my rabbit, I was thinking of incorporating it into a indoor guinea pig cage design.

The cage would be in the left corner, it measures approx 100cm x 50 cm so then I would have an L shape around it of a bit more than 12 sq feet.
Inside the cage (which would be open 24/7, I might even take the door off and make a ramp) I was thinking completely fill it with hay, and maybe some hiding places, so they can snuggle up and bury in the hay. Then the area around it would be fleece. I would attach a hay rack, water bottle, food bowl litter trays and toys for them. Instead of grids round the outside I was thinking fold up the correx sheets (How high would they have to go?)

Sorry this is a long post :oops:
Is there anything I've missed out?

Thank you!

If we've got this right you are thinking of building an L shaped cage which will measure approximately 4 ft one way and just under 4 ft the other. If you are fitting the small cage inside how much floor space will be left? Providing there is ample space around the small cage then it should be big enough for your girls, again the more space the better. If you can approximately estimate the sizes of the L shape then we could tell you for definite if the space is sufficent. As for using the correx as walls you may find that they are not strong enough as piggies love to lean against things and you may find that due to the length involved the walls would bend allowing the piggies to escape. The height of the walls really depends on your piggies but most c & c cages are approximately 14 inches high.

Lisa & Ali...x

If we've got this right you are thinking of building an L shaped cage which will measure approximately 4 ft one way and just under 4 ft the other. If you are fitting the small cage inside how much floor space will be left? Providing there is ample space around the small cage then it should be big enough for your girls, again the more space the better. If you can approximately estimate the sizes of the L shape then we could tell you for definite if the space is sufficent. As for using the correx as walls you may find that they are not strong enough as piggies love to lean against things and you may find that due to the length involved the walls would bend allowing the piggies to escape. The height of the walls really depends on your piggies but most c & c cages are approximately 14 inches high.

Lisa & Ali...x

Hi :)

The L shape around the cage will be approx 12 square feet, If I put a line and split the L into a rectangle and a square, the rectangle will be an area of 2ft x 4ft (140cm x 60cm) which equals 8sq foot and the square is 2ft x 2ft (60 cm x 60 cm) so 4sq foot. Add these together is 12 sq feet.

Of the 4ft x 4ft square area I have, there will be a backwards L shape (details above) on the right hand side, leaving the correct space for an indoor pet shop cage.

Hope this makes sense, I have a habit of making things confusing, If you want me to post pictures just ask.
:)

Lisa & Ali...x

Thank you for the advice of the walls, I'll have to see if anyone has a few spare c and c grids :)

Hi,
Your basic L shape is fine for Floor area, have you considered rather than using the cage on the floor of the L shape, how about making it into a upper level with a ramp for access more like a hay loft type of thing.. x

Lisa & Ali.. x

If you cant make the upstairs idea work you could take the top off the cage and just use the base as a sort of litter tray you could still have hides etc.. in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back