Does The Hutch Need To Be On Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindseyH

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting 2 pigs in the next few weeks and am researching. My 9yr old boy is very excited as we only have an old dog who doesnt want to play with him.

Our garden is large but all the grass is on a slope with a patio and some decking at the bottom on a flat level. So I figured the best place would be on the patio, but should it be on grass? Its a shame to have all that grass that they could run on, but I cant put a hutch on a slope can I? I thought about maybe a separate run that I could put on the grass ocassionally for them to run on but it wouldnt be near their hutch at all.

Also one side of the garden is shaded by a hedge, so I was thinking of that side rather than the other side that gets bright sunlight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome :)

No, the hutch doesn't need to be on grass. In fact, it's best if your piggies do not have constant access to grass as you don't want them to be on it when it's cold and / or wet.

I have indoor piggies but when I used to have an outdoor hutch a few years ago, I just had a separate run and would put them out on the grass for a few hours during the summer when the weather permitted.

Also, make sure that the hutch is positioned in a sheltered part of your garden to protect them from wind, rain and direct sunlight. Will you be moving them indoors during the colder months?

Thanks for the quick reply. One side of the patio is very sheltered with a big hedge behind it and some raised decking on on one side, doesnt get much sun there though.
I dont have room inside in winter apart from a cold conservatory, though I could make some room in the garage. My neighbour has rabbits and she just insulated them with carpet and other stuff in winter, I take it you cant do that with piggies?

Also I cant decide between a single storey or double storey with ramp?

This hutch looks good? Is it OK straight on paving slabs or should I put lino or something under?

If you can't have your piggies indoors during the winter, it would be best if you could move the hutch in to an unused (not used for cars as car fumes kill) or a shed. That way, the piggies will at least be out of the element. I do know some members keep their piggies outdoors all year round but the hutches are very well insulated and packed with hay, fleecy cosy beds and snuggle safe heat pads etc. We do have threads on cold weather care providing top tips which you may find an interesting read.

Hutches with ramps are hit and miss and some piggies use the ramps and some don't. I have a two tier cage and my pigs manage the ramp but it has a ramp tunnel to make it more safe and I have modified it to make it less steep.

Piggies will be fine on the concrete in nice weather but you wouldn't want them running around on it when it's cold and wet

Thank you. One more question, I looked at pigs at Pets at Home, would you recommend I get them from there or adopt them from a local shelter?

We have ours on concrete lino in bottom floor and then shavings so it isnt cold for them. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back