• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does she have bloat

Tahi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, is it normal for guinea pigs stomach to grow by the end of the day? It feels kind of solid but I am not sure if it's from her eating or if she is bloated.

Hi

I am not as experienced owner as some other members,but here is the forum information about bloat.

Also I would suggest if in doubt, to go to the vet as only they can properly diagnose it.

If you think it's a bloat then she shouldn't have veg until the problem is dealt with.

Is she okay otherwise?

Please read the guide attached above as a way to try to determine if she is bloated. If in any doubt please see a vet given the severity of a potential bloat occurrence.

Switch to daily weight checks, syringe feeding and remove veg from the diet if you do think this is bloat.

I hope she is ok

Also I have a new question. Winnie doesnt really drink water I have been dipping her veggies in water so she doesn't dehydrate but I still get worried how can I solve this?

Please read the guide attached above as a way to try to determine if she is bloated. If in any doubt please see a vet given the severity of a potential bloat occurrence.

Switch to daily weight checks, syringe feeding and remove veg from the diet if you do think this is bloat.

I hope she is ok
And she is fine just chubby she isn't in pain or anything she is eating normally and yeah

Also I have a new question. Winnie doesnt really drink water I have been dipping her veggies in water so she doesn't dehydrate but I still get worried how can I solve this?

Piggies drink the amount they need and that need will vary hugely - some drink hardly anything, some drink lots. Some simply don’t drink much at all and get the vast amount of their water needs from eating their veg. As long as it is her normal then there is no worry at all. You only need to worry if there is a marked increase or decrease in water consumption.
The need to drink comes before the need to eat so a piggy who is eating is definitely getting enough fluid.
You don’t need to dip her veg into water and in fact doing so won’t introduce much additional water at all. She will not deliberately dehydrate herself. Please don’t worry.

If you try to get water into her in other ways, you will actually reduce her desire to drink from the bottle.

Piggies drink the amount they need and that need will vary hugely - some drink hardly anything, some drink lots. Some simply don’t drink much at all and get the vast amount of their water needs from eating their veg. As long as it is her normal then there is no worry at all. You only need to worry if there is a marked increase or decrease in water consumption.
The need to drink comes before the need to eat so a piggy who is eating is definitely getting enough fluid.
You don’t need to dip her veg into water and in fact doing so won’t introduce much additional water at all. She will not deliberately dehydrate herself. Please don’t worry.

If you try to get water into her in other ways, you will actually reduce her desire to drink from the bottle.

Thank you alright great to know and yeah she eats her recommended amount and drinks from her bowl sometimes

As long as you are weighing her every week as part of routine care as that is the only way to know they are eating enough hay. Hay is 75% of what they need to eat in a day and intake cannot be monitored by eye

Reactions: MnJ
Back