• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does Septrin make piggies depressed?

• Thread starter Thread starter emma123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emma123

Hi all, sorry i haven't been on for a while but what with xmas and everything things have been a bit manic!

A while ago i posted about my piggy Holly having what we thought was a urine infection. She was prescribed Baytril which did nothing for her. So after recommendations on here i suggested Septrin to the vet and she was put on a course of this (0.1ml a day).

Well she has been on it now for 9 days, and i've noticed that she has become very withdrawn & depressed. She's not really eating (will only eat cucumber & celery!). Her eyes don't look that bright either and i'm quite worried now. :(

Does Septrin make them like this?

She has also been on pro-biotics whilst on the Septrin.

Anyone got any tips on how or what could perk her up bit?

I've not given her Septrin today as was getting a bit concerned.

Any advice please would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be the illness that is making her depressed? Any change since leaving her off Septrin? 0.1mls isn't a lot.

Not sure really, she only seems to have gone down hill since being on Septrin which makes me think maybe it's that causing it.

The last dose i gave her was yesterday morning, and she doesn't seem any different, wasn't sure if it would take time maybe?

We are due back at the vets on Tuesday but obviously if she doesn't pick up i will take her Sunday.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences of Septrin and whether they've noticed this in their piggy?

0.1ml is useless,the dose is 0.3ml. This tiny amount would not affect her.I* have used Septrin many times and never had any problems with it. I would suspect that this piggy has some discomfort or pain that is making her depressed.

Have you had her teeth/mouth checked ?.

Maybe she should be on a higher dose then?

The vet checked her teeth and mouth and they seem to be fine.

Do you think i should up her medication? She weighs just under 1kg.

One of mine was on septrin for a month because his URI just wouldnt shift, he was on 1.25mls twice daily :) he was fine, i agree with Karen that it may be the illness making her sad. Id suggest a higher dosage to the vet :) oh and at the time Ralfie weighed just under 1kg too x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back