Does seagrass count as dried forage?

Pantalaimon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I bought one of these chew things as seen in the picture, it is a seagrass basket stuffed with other dried plants.
One of my guinea pigs is 6 in the next 2 months and I try to keep the calcium in her diet quite low as she leaves little piles of calcium deposit on the fleece (not white marks, they are actual piles). I was wondering whether the dried plants in this basket would be high in calcium the same way dried herb mixes and redigrass are?
Thank you for any information!
IMG_5492.webpIMG_5487.webp

I can't answer your question as to whether its low in calcium or not but my piggies love those. You've just reminded me I'll have to get another one as its been a while since they last had one.

Mine seem to really like it too, as soon as I put it in they were munching on it!
Also, do you remove the strings? I felt they could be dangerous but without them the contents will just fall out, I left them on for the moment and have been supervising carefully but obviously I cant be here all the time.

I would personally not consider this anything more than a toy to be honest.
I know mine would not sit and eat it like they would sit and eat a forage in their hay.

I would remove the string

I would personally not consider this anything more than a toy to be honest.
I know mine would not sit and eat it like they would sit and eat a forage in their hay.

I would remove the string
Thank you for responding. My boar (Pat) is incredibly destructive and eats literally everything (correx, bars, fluffy blankets, fingers...) and sometimes Ratter (sow who is nearly 6) will copy so I was just wondering whether to limit it the same way I limit their dried herbs and redigrass coated tunnel to once a month. I definitely see what you mean about it just being a toy though, certainly if once the novelty wears off they stop eating it.
I will remove the string if I go to leave it in there for longer, right now I am in the next room and can regularly check on them.

I’ve never seen that before but mine do love a sea grass house.
It gets slept in, weed and pooed in and chewed to destruction
I had a seagrass tunnel ages and ages ago, they liked it at first but eventually it became a toilet!
It is almost like being soaked in urine re-hydrates it and makes it smell like it would have smelt when it first came out of the sea.:vom:

We've not had any experience with seagrass but we live in a hard water area. Crusty build up on taps and in kettle is a good indicator. So we filter the water for the pigs and the white patches have all but disappeared. Only occurs now when too much calcium rich veggies given.

Back