Does Recovery Food Go Out Of Date?

• Thread starter Thread starter DM140821
  • Start date Start date
D

DM140821

Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying some recovery sachets to have in, just incase anything happens and I need them. However I was wondering if they have a use by date?

Yes, it does. I’ve been caught out a few times when I’ve bought online and it’s had a short expiry date. I check my stash every couple of months to check mine is still in date.

Yes they do have a use by date.

In an emergency, when you don’t have recovery feed in, then you can mush up their normal pellets with warm water and syringe that to them. That works until you can get recovery feed. Also, normal pellets will have a familiar taste and they can be more willing to take it.
To that end, I only ever keep 1ml syringes in my first aid kit so can syringe feed at any time of day or night and can get recovery feed the next day

Yes they do have a use by date.

In an emergency, when you don’t have recovery feed in, then you can mush up their normal pellets with warm water and syringe that to them. That works until you can get recovery feed. Also, normal pellets will have a familiar taste and they can be more willing to take it.
To that end, I only ever keep 1ml syringes in my first aid kit so can syringe feed at any time of day or night and can get recovery feed the next day
Thank you! How many ml would you give your piggy a day of the homemade recovery food?

Thank you! How many ml would you give your piggy a day of the homemade recovery food?

A recovery feed (either homemade out of pellets or critical care/emeraid) directly replaces the hay a piggy isnt eating for themselves. So the amount you need to feed depends on the severity of the illness and on how big an impact it has had on the appetite. You switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh a poorly piggy every day and adjust the amount of syringe feed as necessary to keep their weight stable. You could need to syringe feed anything up to around 120ml in a 24 hour period if piggy has had a total loss of appetite. You also feed as much per sitting as they will take - the less they take at each sitting, the more often you may need to feed

This is the syringe feeding guide - its useful to read It before it is needed!
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

and the Weight - Monitoring and Management guide

Last edited:
Back