Does my laundry detergent matter?

Princess Dustmop

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want to switch to reusable bedding, but does it matter how I wash it? I was assuming that detergent rinses out, so regular would be fine, but do I need to be using free and gentle or something? I've always laundered carrier towels in the normal laundry, but obviously they're in their cage a lot longer than their carrier, so does it matter more?

I've previously used recylced paper bedding (an equivalent to Fitch bedding), but the one I liked best is getting more expensive and less available, and it's not as suited for my current piggies (a little live wire who'd send it everywhere and a lunkarya who doesn't want it in her fur). I'd rather do laundry than deal with all that, an trying it out so far, my little diva dustmop seems appreciative (I started half litter and let her tell me what was better ... we're now in the process of her telling me what her favorite texture is). So far, I've just used regular detergent, but it's only been a little over a week since I switched ... not sure if long term it matters.

Thanks!

A non bio, non scented detergent is best. If it would be suitable for human babies, then it would be ok for piggies.

Back