• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does my guinea pig have mange mites?

Whatup

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, 1 week ago I was noticing that my guinea pig was itching a lot more and tended to be more scared by his fellow piggies. Therefore I decided to just check up on him, then I found out red dots and a lil scabbing on his back. He also began to bald as when I brushed him more than usual hair came out. I searched it up and I think its mange mites but I just want you guys to see what you think because the nearest vet is like 5 hours away. His name is Teddy, Male, Abyssinian and he is 3 years old. Do you guys also know how guinea pigs get mites so that I can prevent it next time? Also I checked on my other guinea pigs and they do not show and type of symptoms.

I’m sorry to hear that.
You will need to see a vet - we cannot diagnose anything as we are not vets and we cannot have access to your piggy

Piggies tend to have mites on their skin all the time but they are kept in check by the immune system. If the immune system is compromised in any way then the mites can take hold.

Please do see a vet and to be prescribed the correct course of treatment. Don’t be tempted to use any pet shop parasite products. All piggies will need to be treated and you also need to undertake disinfection of the cage and furnishings

The guide below explains further

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Back