• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does my guinea pig have allergies?

Haru825

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've noticed since spring (after the pollen count has increased) when I open the windows after a few minutes my guinea pig makes a wheezing noise. But a few minutes after closing the window and running an air purifier he if fine... I'm guessing this is a sign he's allergic to pollen, right? This also happens sometimes when he gets hay dust up his nose (I clean it out using a q-tip) and after cleaning out his nose he's fine in a few minutes. From what I've read online usually sick guinea pigs eat/drink/move less, but so far he's been pretty active, wheeking and being a little poop machine. 🤣

I'm always overthinking that he is sick or has a cold... I guess I'll just not open my windows any more 😅.

Just in case, I'll make sure to give him some more vitamin C, and make sure to shake out all the dust from the hay and run my air purifier longer.

Hi
True allergies in guinea pigs are rare; sensitivities are more common - likely the more the more sterile any indoors atmosphere is. However, you always need to exclude a respiratory infection before you can look at either, firstly because un- or under-treated infections can be deadly or cause long term damage and secondly because it is very difficult to diagnose sensitivities and allergies.

But we can certainly not tell you what is going on sight unseen and without access to your piggy. All we can do is guess based on your own guesses and filtered observations. I hope that you can accept that.

Okay, I have a vet visit planned and will be having a checkup for my guinea pigs. Is there any certain questions I should remember to ask the doctor?

Back