• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

does my guinea have dandruff or mites?

• Thread starter Thread starter TinselW
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TinselW

Hi everyone, I'm new here. i have a 2 guineas, toffee (short haired, little rosete on head,i re-homed from a zoo, so unkown age. and tinsel (a half long haired grey and white piggy, about 1 year old).

Iv just been checking my pigs over and i noticed that Tinsel has a thickish but small patch of what looks like dandruff on her back. its only on her lower back and it isnt any where else. i was a bit concerned it could be mites but as iv never had a guinea thats had it before i dont really know what it would look like. Iv also never owned a long haired piggy before, but i was told she was short haired when i got her, so i wasnt sure if it was perhaps somthing that piggys with longer hair got?

Shes eating fine and bright as normal.

I will take her vets tomorrow, but does anyone have know if its likely to be mites if it is only a small patch on her back?

Will be gratefull for any replies.

Thanks.

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum! :) Yes it is more than likely mites. My Sheltie Cuzzy had exactly the same thing, it was nowhere else but on his back.

Good luck at the vets, let us know how you get on!

Louise
:)

thanks for the reply...if it is mites, will my other piggy get it? when i checked her she was perfect.

Could do but I seperated Cuzzy from my other 2 boys as they didn't catch the mites and now I can't get them all the be friends again. So in my opinion if it is mites then it may be better treating both at the same time. I would take them both the vet just for a vets opinion. )

Louise
:)

Hi i agree with louise, one of mine had mites so i got her sister treated too just to be safe, ask the vets for the spot on stuff it's less traumatic for the piggies than the injection, mine had 3 doses and are all clear now, it's not too expensice either. Don't worry too much, they'll be fine just nip down the vets as soon as you can and they'll sort them out!
Love Emma x

Most likely mites as everyone has said,.There could be a fungal infection as well so best treat for both.

The first thing is to get some topical Ivermectin from the vet,they will need a second dose of this after 14 days.

In the meantime email Chrissie at

[email protected]

and she will advise you which melt,shampoo to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back