Does mounting behavior ever end?

CLK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does mounting behavior ever end? 😅 It started out with my older one mounting and dominating the littler one. Now that my older ones having eye problems, and it’s older, the little ones starting it up this time around. I had to separate them for awhile because the vet noticed scabs and brought it to my attention, I didn’t even realize he was really biting him. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Long story short, I took the barrier out because it’s been months, but the behavior seems to continue. I feel bad separating them, they sit next to each other near the divider but the second I lift it, the mounting/dominance chattering, chasing etc resumes. 😭

Any ideas? Do they need to just live permanently separate?

Reuniting them means they will try to reestablish their relationship hence you will see dominance. But it’s also something which happens lifelong in even well bonded pairs.

Just removing the divider will mean they simply wander into what is now each other’s territory which isn’t advisable particularly if they’ve been apart for longer than a day. Any reintroduction needs to be done on neutral territory to allow then to make their decision about whether they want to be together.

If you want them to try to be back together, then put them in a neutral territory bonding area. Leave them for several hours. You will see dominance during this time (but equally afterwards as well, it’s how boars function). If they are ok in the bonding pen and want to be together ie there are no major fights, then you can clean out their cage, move them back to the cage and leave them together.
What you should not do is reintroduce, separate because of dominance and then try to reintroduce multiple times. This isn’t how bondings works - you do it one time and see it through to conclusion.
But, if they’ve been apart for a long time it is now entirely possible that they will not be prepared to share a space again. If they were fighting and biting each other previously, then a reintroduction may not work.
Do also be aware that sitting next to a divider is not necessarily a sign they want to be together. This kind of behaviour is territorial - literally marking their territories because they don’t want to share a space. In this case, they need to remain separated.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLK
Reuniting them means they will try to reestablish their relationship hence you will see dominance. But it’s also something which happens lifelong in even well bonded pairs.

Just removing the divider will mean they simply wander into what is now each other’s territory which isn’t advisable particularly if they’ve been apart for longer than a day. Any reintroduction needs to be done on neutral territory to allow then to make their decision about whether they want to be together.

If you want them to try to be back together, then put them in a neutral territory bonding area. Leave them for several hours. You will see dominance during this time (but equally afterwards as well, it’s how boars function). If they are ok in the bonding pen and want to be together ie there are no major fights, then you can clean out their cage, move them back to the cage and leave them together.
What you should not do is reintroduce, separate because of dominance and then try to reintroduce multiple times. This isn’t how bondings works - you do it one time and see it through to conclusion.
But, if they’ve been apart for a long time it is now entirely possible that they will not be prepared to share a space again. If they were fighting and biting each other previously, then a reintroduction may not work.
Do also be aware that sitting next to a divider is not necessarily a sign they want to be together. This kind of behaviour is territorial - literally marking their territories because they don’t want to share a space. In this case, they need to remain separated.
Yeah I figured dividing them wasn’t the best idea. Yet, I was more so frightened the younger one would end up hurting the older one or causing stress which could make his eye condition worse off somehow. They been in the cage together undivided for about 4-5 hours now. They just have at it until they’re both tired. Lay down. Re-energize then proceed. Just a bunch of chattering still and squeaking, it doesn’t seem like they’re fighting per say at the moment. Should I just play it out for the day? It’s just so hard to tell, I don’t want them to stress themselves out. I feel like even when they were younger until this day neither of them will ever back down and both equally demand dominance 😅🤦🏻‍♀️

Have you put them into neutral territory for the rebonding?

If they both want to be dominant and neither backs down, then even if they don’t actually fight, it may still mean their bond won’t work.

The guides below will help you decipher what you are seeing and whether it is on par for a normal bonding or whether they are not coming to an agreement between them

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonds In Trouble

• smile
Reactions: CLK

Also, when I put them in the pop up cage to build the ground work and reintroduce them they have a tendency to fight more in there than when together in the cage. They treat it like a wrestling ring. Which is why I opted for the cage reunification, they see less hostile/on defense there for some reason. Or I’m just a terrible Guinea pig reader 😂

Have you put them into neutral territory for the rebonding?

If they both want to be dominant and neither backs down, then even if they don’t actually fight, it may still mean their bond won’t work.

The guides below will help you decipher what you are seeing and whether it is on par for a normal bonding or whether they are not coming to an agreement between them

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonds In Trouble
Thank you! I will check out those links now and read up. Ugh I just wish one would backdown, some days it seems like they can get along, and others are just nearly impossible. I’d hate for them to be separate but if it comes down to what’s best ill have to do it 😭

Also, when I put them in the pop up cage to build the ground work and reintroduce them they have a tendency to fight more in there than when together in the cage. They treat it like a wrestling ring. Which is why I opted for the cage reunification, they see less hostile/on defense there for some reason. Or I’m just a terrible Guinea pig reader 😂

When you say they fight in the pop up pen, can you explain what you mean by that? A full on furball fight is immediate and permament separation.
Normal dominance is not fighting.

When you say they fight in the pop up pen, can you explain what you mean by that? A full on furball fight is immediate and permament separation.
https://pin.it/6NaOrJ0

I took some videos posted in my Pinterest above of their behavior as of right now. It seems like a fall out bond to me 😭 But I could be misreading it? They have times where they do this, but others where they’ll lay next to each other perfectly fine. It’s just so weird and hard to tell for me 😅

And I use the pop up pen usually just when I’m changing out their cage to temporarily move them. It looks like this,

5C768B8E-B21E-422B-A001-F56E1C99C973.webp

Aha sorry I miss re
sorry I misread that! I thought you said can you explain what the pop up pen meant 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 Thankfully today they’ve ceased the chattering and mounting for the moment. I just hope it stays this way 🤞Thank you for those links! They help me a lot with understanding their behaviors more I appreciate it!

Back