Does Long Hair Keep Growing Forever?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, we got two long haired piggies in April (our other 5 are short haired) and already we have trimmed them 3 times! It just keeps growing and is so thick! Is their hair like teeth... Keeps growing forever? Thanks

20160710_131828_001.webp

20160531_125158.webp

If I remember right it grows roughly an inch per month, constantly! That certainly seems to be true for the ones we've had over the years although our current peruvian seems to be growing quicker, it would be quite a challenge if her sister didnt trim half of it for me sometimes lol

I have to cut my two pigs hair about every four weeks.
It is just like any hair and will keep on growing!
That's about the rate of our new ones, had them since mid April, trimmed 3 times already and just had their first bath.... it took ages to blow dry

If I remember right it grows roughly an inch per month, constantly! That certainly seems to be true for the ones we've had over the years although our current peruvian seems to be growing quicker, it would be quite a challenge if her sister didnt trim half of it for me sometimes lol
Haha, one of our piggies has taken to doing that as well... So the front end looks like an 80's (or was it 70's..so long ago ) haircut!

It's just like human hair... every follicle has a lifespan that limits the maximum length before it sheds, but the maximum length of a long-haired pig can be pretty long! I don't have pure long-haired pigs, but I have had two sheltie crosses and their 'skirts' at the back did indeed seem to just keep growing... pretty quickly too. Sundae decided to give Hadley a guinea pig haircut in June and chewed Hadley's hind end all the way down to the undercoat in places, but it's already getting close to ground length and needing to be trimmed again.

It's just like human hair... every follicle has a lifespan that limits the maximum length before it sheds, but the maximum length of a long-haired pig can be pretty long! I don't have pure long-haired pigs, but I have had two sheltie crosses and their 'skirts' at the back did indeed seem to just keep growing... pretty quickly too. Sundae decided to give Hadley a guinea pig haircut in June and chewed Hadley's hind end all the way down to the undercoat in places, but it's already getting close to ground length and needing to be trimmed again.
Haha! One of our piggies keeps chewing around the neck and shoulders of our two long haired ones but the skirts just keep growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back