Does it matter if they don’t have an area filled with hay?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
My piggies are living in a ferplast plaza 160 cage and I usually just fill the extension part with lots of hay with wood shavings in the bigger living area. With having 4 grass seed incidents over the last few months (Ella’s had two in her eye in the last two weeks) I have decided to put wood shavings in the extension and just give them a couple of handfuls of hay and replenish throughout the day. Is this ok or do they really need an area filled with hay?

The important thing is that they have enough hay and don’t ever run out.

Thank you. I’m in the house all day everyday most days so they won’t run out and if I’m going to be out for a long period of time, I will make sure they have enough to last them 🙂

We went through a similar thing with our boys we found spreading it thinner over a large area worked for them but sometimes it's just a particularly pokey batch of hay. I'm always jellous when I see people feeding their piggies hay in paper bags or cardboard boxes because it looks like a nice way to mix things up but i know it would go straight in Gundams eye. As long as they don't run out it should be fine.

We went through a similar thing with our boys we found spreading it thinner over a large area worked for them but sometimes it's just a particularly pokey batch of hay. I'm always jellous when I see people feeding their piggies hay in paper bags or cardboard boxes because it looks like a nice way to mix things up but i know it would go straight in Gundams eye. As long as they don't run out it should be fine.
Thank you. If this doesn’t work, I’ll try spreading the hay thinner over a large area. I’m sorry that Gundam is partial to a hay poke / grass seed in the eye too. I was recently reminded that we had a dry summer last year which has resulted in drier hay which also makes sense

The hay over this winter has been terrible...I dealt with three hay pokes in January having never ever experienced one before.

Thanks, they healed fast without too much fuss but still, not good! Beatrice is just obsessed with making huge hay nests and sitting right in the middle 🙄

Some pigs just barge around with their big bug-eyes wide open, as well. Our Fuzzable screws his eyes up any time anything touches his whiskers, but most of them don't seem to have that much common sense.

Back