• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does Herbie need to go on a diet?

• Thread starter Thread starter shard25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shard25

I have just weighed Herbie and at the moment he weighs 1250gms I am wondering if this is too much for him and if he needs to go on a diet. Any help would be great thanks

Sarah xx

No,I do not think this is too big,some pigs are rather on the large side.

You cannot put a piggy on a diet,.If you are concerned about his weight make sure he gets plenty of excercise.

I agree with Mary :) I have 2 boys both weighing over 1250g, the biggest is 1420g & is in perfect proportion :)

When i was asking about my guinea pig being too fat a woman who runs a cavy centre said pigs can never get too fat. Now thinking i suppose they can but only if theyre constantly fed and they don't eat 24/7

Just let them run around a little. I get them out for 10 minutes then put them back. I do this often only to avoid them peeing and pooping on the carpet. If they go in the garden i'll sit out with them for ages but they don't ever run around they just eat grass ?

They can get too fat and clinically overweight, but its very rare and with the correct diet and exercise the weight will come off. The rescue that I had in was a very pampered piggie fed lots corn and sweet and starchy foods. He went straight onto a hay and grass diet (still with his dry food) and the weight soon came off. As long as guinea is fit then you shouldn't worry :) There is no ideal weight because they're all different sizes. I know a very fit 4pound piggy but he's very long too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back