• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

does anyone know about rabbits?

• Thread starter Thread starter abby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abby

My rescue bun has hard poo below his tail, does anyone know how to go about getting it off? He doesn't like being held much so not sure what to do about it.I noticed it yesterday and when i picked him up to put him back in his hutch just now he had a load of wet stuff hanging off him too which i managed to get off. He is fine in himself, full of energy and eating well. ?

he will need it cleaning off, if you don't he can get fly strike, which means flys can lay maggots in the poo, you really don't want that to happen, the maggots can eat into the flesh.
if he is a wriggly fellow, get someone to help you, wrap him tightly in a towl and tip him on his back, hold firmly and get the person helping to wet cotton wool or use old flannels using warm water, try and soften it up and clean it away, it should work if you keep wetting it down, you could cut the fur around, but i am obviously worried you may cut him if he wriggles so not a good option, failing this take him to the vets for them to do it.
you should check him daily for this problem, it shouldn't build up if you keep an eye on it, be extra careful now the weather is warming up, you will really have to watch out for those flys, keep the hutch as clean as possible, cleaning out poops daily.
did you know you can litter train rabbits, then you only have to clean the tray everyday.
hope this helps.

:( My god, I never imagined maggots.thank you for that advice, i will try to remove it today and if it won't come off i'll take him to the vets tomorrow.

Bugs is now clean, thank you so much for your advice. I wrapped him up and my daughter held him while i soaked, combed and snipped, it was a lot worse than i thought, but he was an angel, didn't truggle or make a sound. After he'd been thoroughly washed i took the oppurtunity to cut his nails, honestly i've never seen anything like it, i don't think his previous owners ever let him out of the hutch. I've only had him a few months and he's been out in a run every day weather permitted but as he's not one for sitting on your lap i hadn't noticed his nails.I feel terrible for not noticing before, poor lad, and so angry at his previous owners. I will check him regularly now thats for sure. :'(

glad it all went well,and glad he stayed still, rabbits tend to go into a hypnotic state when on their backs, so that's probably what happened.i am sure he is feeling much better now, and his feet probably feel great now too, bless him, If you wanted you could litter train him, you can buy corner litter trays from pets @ home put this in a corner and use either litter or even just newspaper and hay, keep putting his poops in there, and he should start using it. This keeps the cage/hutch clean, and you don't have to clean out so often, just change litter tray regularly, just a thought. oh and boys are cleaner than girls, and are generally more friendly and cheeky too.
speak soon, love to bugs x

My old bun gets soft poops stuck on her bum! soI usually just get a tissue and wipe it off :(

She also gets hard squashed poops stuck on the bottom of her feet! so I cut them off with scissors (carefully) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back