• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dobbys got bumble foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
found his little foot all swollen today with a scab on it, out comes the baytril and magnesium sulphate 3 bandages later i managed to get one to stay on him, floo was a lot easier to bandage lol, another one of mummys boys dobby is a laid back little man and adorable he kept nibbling my top while i put the bandage on, hes also been taken out of his run and put in smaller one with towels and cuddle cup in it,with just enough hay to eat, fingers crossed he will be ok, i had to take the scab off and put the magnesium in the hole to draw the yuk out, seems like i'm getting more then my fair share of feet and leg problems never mind i can cope, ;)
100_2481.jpg

oh no, Michelle. You certianly have had a bad time recently.

All paws crossed for Dobby xx

Poor little soul, at least he is getting the best possible care.
Thankfully this is not a condition I have ever had to deal with (probably shouldn't say that ::))

Keep up the good work Michelle and love to Dobby!

Barbara

its the first time this has happened to me, floo was an infected knuckle and Bear had osteomelytis ( think thats what is it) which rots the bones but dobbys was just like in the PG books and piglopedia, it says if theya re heavy or sit for a long time in same position it can happen well he is not over weight but is most def a lazeee pig,

michellemuffin said:
its the first time this has happened to me, floo was an infected knuckle and Bear had osteomelytis ( think thats what is it) which rots the bones but dobbys was just like in the PG books and piglopedia, it says if theya re heavy or sit for a long time in same position it can happen well he is not over weight but is most def a lazeee pig,

Sometimes these things "just happen" and it's often to the best kept most loved piggies :-\

Barbara

its a bit like gout for over weight heavy drinkers lol thinking of dobby hitting the bottle now ;D ;D, he is spoilt little man, what RR would you suggest i add to his water?

michellemuffin said:
its a bit like gout for over weight heavy drinkers lol thinking of dobby hitting the bottle now ;D ;D, he is spoilt little man, what RR would you suggest i add to his water?

Crab Apple to help cleanse his system.

How is he in himself? If no change in his temperament, then he won't need anything :)

Barbara

Bless his little cotton - sorry - bandaged socks. Its the first time I know of any piggy having it keep us posted on how it goes.

I have had a thought that maybe Lucinda should do a list to be made a sticky on Rescue Remedy's for piggies relating to all the relevent illness they get.....?

cavykind said:
michellemuffin said:

Crab Apple to help cleanse his system.

How is he in himself? If no change in his temperament, then he won't need anything :)

Barbara

hes his normal laid back with a little attitude loveable piggy will give him crab apple to help him out, thanks

hils78 said:
Bless his little cotton - sorry - bandaged socks. Its the first time I know of any piggy having it keep us posted on how it goes.

I have had a thought that maybe Lucinda should do a list to be made a sticky on Rescue Remedy's for piggies relating to all the relevent illness they get.....?

good idea I'm adding to my collection every few weeks and the book for RR for animals is invaluable

michellemuffin said:
found his little foot all swollen today with a scab on it, out comes the baytril and magnesium sulphate 3 bandages later i managed to get one to stay on him, floo was a lot easier to bandage lol, another one of mummys boys dobby is a laid back little man and adorable he kept nibbling my top while i put the bandage on, hes also been taken out of his run and put in smaller one with towels and cuddle cup in it,with just enough hay to eat, fingers crossed he will be ok, i had to take the scab off and put the magnesium in the hole to draw the yuk out, seems like i'm getting more then my fair share of feet and leg problems never mind i can cope, ;)
100_2481.jpg

awwwwie @ the hat ;D

michellemuffin said:
good idea I'm adding to my collection every few weeks and the book for RR for animals is invaluable
That sounds like a good book - is it on Amazon?

hils78 said:

I second that, it's a great idea. But don't you mean Barbara?......

Get better soon Dobby :)

hils78 said:
michellemuffin said:
That sounds like a good book - is it on Amazon?

yes thats where i got mine from, rescue remedy for animals a great read , yes Barbara should do a list of piggy ailments and whats best to give them, great idea are you up for it Barbara? would save us all a fortune on buying the book except a bookworm like me :D I read the book but still check with Barbara first

hils78 said:

Er I think you mean Barbara :)

Oh dear sorry you're unwell little Dobby, sending you lots of piggie kisses & manly hugs from Duke :-*

hils78 said:
Sorry - I'm an air head at the moment!

No you're not, take care hoping you're feeling a little better :-*

hes quite content munching on his hay and loved sleeping in his cuddle cup (full of poops) his bandage is still on and he took his dose of baytril very well, he is a remarkable little man then we all say that about our pigs dont we?

Lucinda said:
hils78 said:

Er I think you mean Barbara :)

:) Yes, I could do that, I'll try and do so this week.

Barbara

am taking dobby to vet tomorrow as his foot isn't getting much better its still swollen and the scab dropped off and it bleeds quite a bit as PG said it would in his book, have got a dressing on it and we had over 2 hours cuddle time indoors today which was so nice we cuddled up together and he fell asleep on me , I just about kept awake but it was so relaxing he was purring ahhhh

dobby does indeed have a foot condition commonly known as bumble foot although my vet did say chickens get bumble foot he said why do you come to me when you know whats wrong and have done exactly what I would have suggested ? I said its your company I like lol no its because i need more baytril etc and a confirmation i was correct, I would never dare to go by my own diagnosis alone, so the upshot is its quite deep infection, could go like bears who I lost last march osteo something or other in the bone, which worse thing is he might go same as bear in that if in the bones he could need amputation but but but I said that is way down the line am going to do everything possible first so he is on 4ml of baytril a day for another 10 days with fiberplex was already covering the wound and on towels so my instinct was correct, fingers crossed for my wonderful dobby

the worst thing that's happened to my little
AMerry039.jpg

is that he has fallen and broken his teeth, ouch!
i can feel you pig's suffering

Good luck with Dobby, it's awful when the little ones are unwell isn't it?

I'm with you, although I can generally tell what a piggy problem might, start treatment if I have the right medication to hand, I still always drop by to see my vet for confirmation! I guess that after so many years of owning the little darlings you just get a feel for what things are, but I still like to get a professional opinion - even though my vet always asks me why I am visiting, when I am already doing all the right things! Hope Dobby feels better soon.

his foot doesn't seem to be getting any better any ideas or remedys I am willing to try anything for my little man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back