• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do they need a bath?

• Thread starter Thread starter CharlieandLola
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CharlieandLola

I've only had my guinea pigs a couple of weeks and I'm still learning but I'm sure I've read people mentioning washing/bathing there piggies I was hoping someone could tell me if it's necessary to bath them and if it it how often and how? Thank you.

Id personally only bath them if you think there dirty or smelly - I bath mine once a month more than this and it can give them an itchy skin or dry skin and remember guinea pigs are naturally timid so bathing them too much can be stressful - I bath my long haired ones once a month too ! :)

Yeah bath when need be really. I have bathed Twinkle as he is mostly white and gets dirty especially around the grease gland. I have also bathed Cuzzy has he has mites and last week for some reason he went really filthy looking, I bathed him and the water was yellow! Yuk! I'm not sure what he'd been doing but I couldn't believe how black he was, perhaps it was the mites! As for Sunshine he is short haired and I haven't bathed him yet. I will do so I think on Sunday as I've had him since June! But really he isn't a dirty boy, very clean he is!

Louise
:)

Yeah just bath if need be - If there white then youd definitely see when they need bathing ;D
Have you treated the mites as i got a right going at when i said mine had mites >:( Even though i was going to treat them anyway :D

Hiya,

Yeah Cuzzy has been up the vets twice, today was his second injection so he has been a little quiet. I've offered veggies but he prefers the mix and vet said he may get some loose stools which is normal, it happened with the first injection. She did want me to treat Sunshine and Twinkle but they seem fine, but I will take them up to be safe.

Louise

Ahhh thats good ive never experience mites before and today was the first time i took my choc choc and her 5 babies to the vets to get their treatment :D

Me neither, I'm new to guinea pigs (first one I got was in June) so it's a learning curve, it's good fun though. I'm loving being a new mum to three boys! :)

Louise

I've not ever bathed my boys as they don't seem to need it. They smell good so I don't want to stress them unnecessarily. :smitten:

hats like me then i only occasionally bath mine as one has long hair and the others go out a lot and some are white :D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back