Do my guinea pigs even like each other?

Rileigh09

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

First time guinea pig owner and I'm having some concerns about whether or not I should keep my two together. The pigs are Jane (bigger, wants to be in charge) and Zelda (the one kicked out of hides), both are females as far as I and the shelter are aware.

For background: They were strays picked up by the animal shelter (not sure if they were found together or not) and were there about two weeks in the same cage before I picked them up. I have been reading the threads about dominance behavior and trying to be patient because there hasn't been any serious fights and I don't want to interrupt the process since they did just have a major environment change.

However, although the behavior is mostly just chasing with submission squealing, pee squirting, rumble strutting and some quiet chattering they never seem to willing want to be in the same place as the other except when I'm handing out food or treats. I see them occasionally tap noses, but other than that they never groom or sleep near each other. It's been two weeks and I'm not sure what to do or how long I should wait. Any advice is very much appreciated. :)

Note: I have hay placed in two separate places and two water bottles and usually hand feed veggies to make sure even distribution. They are in a 4 x 2 C&C cage as well.

Welcome to the forum

Most bonded pairs will never groom each other or sleep together. That doesn’t mean they don’t get on, it’s just simply that that isn’t what most piggies do. I have never once had any of my pairs share a hide! Mine have never groomed each other

Please see the guides below as they explain what the new stages of a bond look like. What you are describing sounds to be mild dominance and totally normal. Make sure you have plenty of hides and that all hides have two doors so Zelda doesn’t get trapped in anywhere by Jane.

Make sure you are weighing them both weekly as part of routine care. That enables you to know they are both eating enough hay.

Sows are much less likely to have a full on fight so you can’t always use that as a way to gauge a dysfunctional bond. The bonds of trouble guide below details signs in sows - I’m only adding this so you can see what you would see if things weren’t working out, not because it sounds like your piggies don’t like each other.

Guinea pigs don't do tons of social grooming... I've mostly only seen it when pigs are newly introduced or have been separated for awhile and are reconfirming their bond. It's really normal not to see pigs grooming each other or sleeping together and doesn't mean there isn't a bond there. Pigs are really not that 'cuddly' with other pigs... they communicate in other ways but most do like their space.

Back