• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

do mites bite?

• Thread starter Thread starter poppy1775
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

poppy1775

humans i mean!

i've noticed recently that whenever i have reggie out for lap time in the evening after i put him away my arms really itch and i get faint red spots all over them, could this be mites? he lives on his own at the moment, it doesn't happen with any of the others! (i've got 6!)

any idea's??

Intersting question Poppy. I assume they do. My reckoning behind that is the dreaded head lice. I always get it when Emily gets them from school and I end up with itchy hands, arms and legs so I guess it is the same with mites from animals. I'd never had nits until 2005, I was so repulsed by them and I've had them 3 times since! I even got them when Emily didn't have them!...lol God knows how!

Making me feel crawly just thinking about it!

Louise
x

Awwwww my daughters names emily! and she keeps getting then too!! ::)
and come to think of it i get that as well like when she has a cuddle on my arm i get bitten where her heads been :D

Yeah I think they can bite humans - don't see why not as they do definitely bite the piggies - horrid little critters (the mites not the piggies! ;D) Just for Boars do some really fab shampoos - not "just for boars" - worth taking a look.

awwwww thanx I'll take a look! O0
I've still got some manuka and neem shampoo from gorgeous guineas do you think that will work?

Yeah give that a go first as you already have it. Might it be an idea to give all your piggies a bath (even if they don't live together)? Good luck! O0

No, guinea pig mites are species specific - they cannot affect homo sapiens - it may be that you have an allergy to proteins shed by the mites (or the piggies come to that :embarassed:).

Apparently when mite larvae become adults they shed their skin and this can cause irritation to human skin - yeuch! Vile little critters! :-\

I agree def sounds like an allergy :(
I have allergies so recognised those symptoms >:(
It may just be his hair or what you keep him on :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I can now manage my allergy with Duke but when we went on hols earlier this year and we came back after 2 weeks, oooo i paid for it bad :tickedoff: but then i adjusted again :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Speak to your Doctor's they might suggest a cream, or as i've done i've exposed myself totally and become sort of immune as long as it's continual.... always depends on your skin type tho as my dermo says.

wow if it was a reaction to guinea pigs surly it would happen of all of them? :embarassed: ?

No not necessarily. Some people can develop allergies to only certain cats, dogs, rabbits so maybe with guineas too. Good luck on finding out the problem and then hopefully curing it! O0

Thats very true, I was allergic to harry....

I still cuddled him a lot, but had to be careful of contact on my hands, wrists, or neck, as they were the areas that got really pimpley are itchy/sore :)

I think they do dont they...? Thats probably why the animal there on keeps itching....But a very good question that i dont really know the answer to....But i supose they would bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back