Do I separate my Guinea pig?

Sam88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to confirm I was doing the right thing before I separate. So I have three bonding females living in a large indoor enclosure. I had two males, and one died. I decided to have Pedro, my remaining boy castrated. 6 weeks later I introduced him to my girls in neutral territory for the afternoon and it went very well. I scrubbed the ladies enclosure before putting them all in together. One of my females is clearly the dominant pig, and she would chase Pedro at first. He started to sleep away from the girls. They will eat there veggies together, and I have two water bottles, two nugget bowls and an endless supply of fresh hay and forage. When Skye chases Pedro I have seen her lunge at his back end a few times, but he always runs away and never challenges her. It will be two weeks on Thursday. I have not handled them during this time so that I don't interfere as I know it can take time. However I got Pedro out to check him over to make sure it was just chasing. Turns out he has a few cut under his fur which I'm certain has been caused by Skye. Should I admit defeat and separate? Many thanks for listening. Picture from left to right, Bear, Skye, Pedro and Poppy

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_163416452.webp
    PXL_20220512_163416452.webp
    74 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to confirm I was doing the right thing before I separate. So I have three bonding females living in a large indoor enclosure. I had two males, and one died. I decided to have Pedro, my remaining boy castrated. 6 weeks later I introduced him to my girls in neutral territory for the afternoon and it went very well. I scrubbed the ladies enclosure before putting them all in together. One of my females is clearly the dominant pig, and she would chase Pedro at first. He started to sleep away from the girls. They will eat there veggies together, and I have two water bottles, two nugget bowls and an endless supply of fresh hay and forage. When Skye chases Pedro I have seen her lunge at his back end a few times, but he always runs away and never challenges her. It will be two weeks on Thursday. I have not handled them during this time so that I don't interfere as I know it can take time. However I got Pedro out to check him over to make sure it was just chasing. Turns out he has a few cut under his fur which I'm certain has been caused by Skye. Should I admit defeat and separate? Many thanks for listening. Picture from left to right, Bear, Skye, Pedro and Poppy

Hi

Please never introduce guinea pigs in the territory of one of the parties; deep cleaned or not - they will still recognise it as theirs. Not all dominant Top Ladies, especially not adult sows coming to the end of their ideal pup bearing age will accept a husboar.

In your case, I would abort the bonding and separate asap. Rather consider whether Pedro may be doing better with a new sow companion if none of the two under-sows will have him. Group sows often close ranks against newcomers behind their leading lady or a mate being strongly opposed it when bondings/leadership sort-outs go wrong at any stage of the complex ca. 2 weeks long bonding process; even if there are no outright fights or it is not quite obvious from the start whether initial acceptance has happened or not.

I am very sorry, but at all you can do is give your piggies the option; you cannot make them what you would like best. They very much have their own mind - and know it well.
Here is our step-by-step bonding guide, including set-up for the introduction and information on the ca. 2 weeks post-intro group establishment 'dominance phase' that many owners are not aware of: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Here is our advice re. working out troubled relationships: Bonds In Trouble

They are all gorgeous. I’m sorry Skye doesn’t want a husboar. Could Pedro live with either Poppy or Bear?

Back