Do I Have Everything I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Going to get two lovely little piggies soon, and I was wondering if I have everything I need?
This is what I have:
-2 water bottles
-2 food dishes
-2x4 C&C cage
-Hidey houses
-Fleece
-Absorbent layer for underneath the fleece
-Dust pan and brush for spot cleaning
-Nail clippers
-Soft bristled brush
-small scissors for trimming
-Pellets (Oxbow)
-Veggies
-Hay
-Hay rack
-Travel carrier
-Playpen
-Chew toys
-A vet
-Weigh scale

Is this all I need? If I'm missing something, can you please point it out? I want to make sure my piggies have a happy, healthy life.

I make snuggle sacks and tunnels, if you want to have a nosy
https://www.facebook.com/HandmadePigsInBlankets
It sounds as though you have everything you need to start off with. You may find it a bit of a task cleaning up poo with a dustpan and brush (I did), I got a dustbuster for spot cleans and it was the best thing I ever did. I just got a cheapy one from amazon .

For hidey houses, I always recommend that they have at least 2 doors for the pigs - this way you avoid any disputes over doorways & help keep a happy home :). I would not personally recommend hay racks as piggies can get tuck in them especially when they are small.

Have you found somewhere good to get your guineas from? Are there any rescues near you?

I hope you enjoy having your new friends soon :)

Sadly, there are no rescues near me. I've checked the rescue locator at the top, but it says that the closest is over 60 miles away. Where else should I get them from? After all, I still need my piggies to get everything.

Litter trays with substrate in and hay would be good.If you put a cover over the cage where the litter trays are it will encourage them to use it.They love diving in the hay and keeps the fleece drier as mine do most of their weas in there.Mine still poo all over the cage but a lot of it is in the trays.Saves me a lot of time

Make sure you have plenty of fruit as well as veg, as they love apples, carrots, cucumber etc.
Also (if you want to) you can get some special shampoo or baby shampoo for them in bath time ? I use baby shampoo sometimes when I give my piggies a bath, and maybe a towel for it. :D

For hot weather, you could have a towel so you can run it under a bit of cold water, drain it and keep it over the cage to keep it cool. :)
And they would like a tunnel if you want to buy it, Cheese (my profile picture) loves it! He can chew on the cardboard one I got him, and you can also get edible ones, but that may go quicker. :)

Hello. I liked your checklist and using it as an aide memoir.
. I`m expecting to dive into the guinea pig world for the first time this coming weekend when I hope to receive two baby brothers. Suddenly I`m feeling very afraid , like going through an adoption process....a bit like `will I be accepted as a suitable parent?`.
I`d decided on a cage but now, last minute, I`ve seen a Living World Green Habitat enclosure 120cm. Very different from conventional barred cages. I want an enclosure on wheels but its main station will be my conservatory where the doors are open as often as possible. I`m wondering if this Living World Habitat enclosure might be safer, and a better bet, than the conventional barred cage with its temptation for passing inquisitive foxes or cats ?
Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated and with my thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back