Do I air new Hutch?

• Thread starter Thread starter lesley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lesley

Have just bought a lazybones hutch run combo - very nice! However when we thought about transferring our boys to their new palace we realised it smells of wood preserving treatment- should we air it? I would've thought it should be safe for them as it is intended for use but it is quite pungent.....any thoughts? :-\ Lesley

I'm not sure..I personally wouldn't put them in there if it still smelt quite strong.

Maybe it would be best to leave it for a few days.

Thanks - it is quite strong, don't remember my first hutch smelling at all! Lesley

I would definatly leave it to air for a few days,sounds like it had just been treated before it was sent out :-\

Yes I would leave it to air a couple of days if it smells sounds like it was not done with an animal friendly varnish. When I did mine in cuprinal garden shades it was odour free animals went in them same as day as there was no odour and is pet safe.

Thank you all...I rang the manufacturers today- they said thy'd "never had a query like this before!" However they assured me that if I let it air for 24 hours it should be fine! The pet store said the same...however 24 hours on and a wash down in water and vinegar etc hasn't made much difference! Can't say I'm feeling too confident about transferring them! Lesley :o

try using a pine or a lemon wash as they are very good at deodorising...

it could need a couple of weeks to air out if its really bad.... i suppose no air was getting at it while it was packaged

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back