• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do guineas get dandruff or eczema?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Daisy has had bad skin on and off since she had mites as a baby. It is worst in winter when my eczema is also worst. She has never got any worse than a few flaky patches and a lot of moulting and it doesn't bother her unless I touch the little scabs and dry bits but her hair comes out quite easily. She has had baths with a skin softening shampoo and the vet has ruled out mites. Is there any gorgeous guinea stuff that might help?

It is mostly on the agouti strip on her back
_IGP0002.jpg

You could try the coco neem melt and the mankum and neem shampoo, it worked a treat on my pigs. Gizmo had slightly dry skin on his rump and i bathed them both in the above and it went away, they are due for another bath just before Xmas so will be using it again.

But even though you have said they dont have mites ive heard that dandruff can be linked to a fungal problem, but I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable than me can answer better than me about the fungal problem. :)

one of my boys had this problem drove me crazy everything would be fine then the weather would change & he go nuts & get little scabs that would get bigger then he would do like little cry noises he didnt get on with a melt dont know why as they work wonders on my other boys so someone told me to try nizoral (a human product available at boots) & all his skin problems cleared up took a few goes till he was clear was not his fav person as jake came me a bath but it work
hope that helps

jo xx

Have you checked that it is not fungal?

Would it be fungal if it was on and off and never got very bad for a long time though?

Yes it could be fungal - one of mine suffers with it on & off. The gorgeous guineas melts & shampoos work a treat.

Have bought some coco neem melt and mankum and neem shampoo for all my girls. Can't hurt to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back