• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do GPs suffer from motion sickness?

• Thread starter Thread starter Alarna
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alarna

Hi everyone,
I don't trust anyone enough to look after my two guinea pigs while I am on holiday. Therefore, I would like to take them with me. We are travelling from Sheffield to North Devon by car and they are going in an animal cage with hay and newspaper bedding and a nest box. They of course will have water. I shall cover the cage with a towel.
We own our own caravan and the site wardens are happy for us to bring them. At the moment they are now housed outside in a two-storey hutch with large run attached.
I will be putting them in their indoor hutch that they use in winter and this will go in the caravan. The run will be coming with us. It has a lid and we will put this in the awning for a daily 2 hour exercise. They have their own mat for the floor. We are also taking a fan in case it gets too warm, but I don't think that will be a problem at this time of year.
Is there anything I have forgotten? And do you think they will cope with travelling this distance? May they get travel sick?
Please can you help?

I wouldn't take them with you, I personally think the journey (there and back) will be to stressful(for both you and the guineas ;)). I am sure you could find someone you can trust, phone the vets they may be able to point you in the right direction. Like I say I believe it is to much for the guineas. O0

If you don't have a friend or neighbour you trust then how about a pet sitter? I work for Paradise Pet Sitters and may be able to point you in the direction of a good pet sitter.

As it is our job you can be assured that the welfare of the animal is our top priority. Give me a shout if you want any help ;)

Thank you for your advise.
My daughter has suggested that she could take care of them and they could remain where they are. My daughter only lives about 5 minutes drive away from where we live. She said she could call in twice a day when she drops off and picks up my 2 granddaughters at school.
I am now in the process of showing her how to care for GPs (she owns 2 rats).
I don't know why I didn't think of this before.
Thanks again everyone for your prompt and helpful advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back