Do Girls Show Dominance The Same Way? o_O

• Thread starter Thread starter Darky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darky

I was wondering if sows search for dominance the same way that males do..

Because my little sow Linnell has been "seducing" the older, bigger Yuki. XD She purrs, "rumbles", struts - I've even seen her try to mount Yuki. o_O

At first I panicked and thought Linnell might have been sexed wrongly (afterall, I did get them from P@H ::) ) but I checked and she definetly seems to be female down there - very obviously a 'Y' and no obvious testicles.

So I was wondering if this is normal? 98)

I'm not sure about dominance issues really but ours certainly try and sort out the pecking order between them - we have 2 girls and although it's not as bad as when we first had them every now and then you can hear them still having a bit of a go - it's generally the smaller one of the two that picks on the bigger one though 98) She also has to take whatever food the other one is eating too 98)

bobbysgirl said:
I'm not sure about dominance issues really but ours certainly try and sort out the pecking order between them - we have 2 girls and although it's not as bad as when we first had them every now and then you can hear them still having a bit of a go - it's generally the smaller one of the two that picks on the bigger one though 98) She also has to take whatever food the other one is eating too 98)

The thing is, they don't do anything like that.

They happily eat together, take turns drinking from the bottle - Linnell also likes to snuggle up onto the bed with Yuki and they sleep together. o_o There are no problems there.

What she's been doing is pretty much what Laurie does to Fry, my two boars.

I'm not sure what rumble strutting is because i've never had boars, but each girl used to make a sort of vibratey sound and walk along slowly with their head kinda stuck forward/low... i didn't know if that meant they were on heat or something though

Clover_kins said:
I'm not sure what rumble strutting is because i've never had boars, but each girl used to make a sort of vibratey sound and walk along slowly with their head kinda stuck forward/low... i didn't know if that meant they were on heat or something though

Well, they like.. Vibrate, make a rumbling noise, and often put their head low yeah, and sort of wobble side to side as they move.

Wilson (my boar) always does the rumbling thing to Cindy (my sow) but i have never seen cindy do it back, and asi have never owned 2 sows at once I'm not realy sure ;D
Sorry

I must admit its rare for my sows to do this as they are all in a hugh run and probably dont feel the need to be boss although I find the eldest takes that role with no aggresion etc she just seems to assume the role although at the moment we dont seem to have a boss momma pig, could be becasue we lost 3 elderly females and had 2 new babys in the herd, will wiat and see who develops as momma pig in the next few weeks,

Lottie is definitely dominant to Grace - she puts her in her place and eats the veg first, she lies across the ramp to try to stop Grace getting up. It's getting better as Grace is getting older and stands up for herself more. I've never seen any of the behaviour you describe though - are you absolutely positive that she's not a he?

Some sows when on heat will display mating behaviour and try to mount another sow.I am sure this is because some sows have a higher hormonal level than others.They normally stop this behaviour as they age. Mary

baby-wilson said:
How can you tell if your pig is on heat?

I think they come into season every couple of weeks, so if you make a note of the time of the dominant behaviour and then when it happens again, a pattern should be seen (I think, I'm only guessing ;D)

oh okay lol thanks... one more question, sorry darky... do they go on heat while theyre pregnant?

My girls sometimes rumble or mount each other. Not often but I am sure if I marked the dates on a calendar there would probably be a pattern!

None of my girls are particularly dominant but each of them 'have their moments'. Trixie is the funniest - she rumbles at Angela sometimes and Angela ignores her! Trixie then stops - it is like she doesn't know what to do after that!

I've just witnessed baby bertie rumblestrutting tryng to get dominance over Sid, Sid just walked off looking uninterested! Was quite funny really!

Angel showed it once over Sherbert,she was soooo bossy but ive not seen her do it again thankfully
oh and Honey did too,funny that they both came from the swamp

Kayjay, You are right,the oestrus cycle is every 15-17 days and lasts approx. 14-16 hours.Sometimes when a sow is on heat they will try and mount another sow,and ocassionaly there will be a slight pink discharge,but this does not happen very often.Apart from that I do not think there is anyway you can tell. Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back