Do boars need a lid/cover

WheekHearted

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am not sure but I have a 10x2 for my sows never needed a cover

But I’ve heard boars are better escape artists I don’t know How true

I’m talking about c and c cages

Unless you have dog/cat predator animals,small children.You should not need a lid.ive got boars ive not found in general to be escape artists,in fact ive had more sows that like to climb.For these i ensure any furniture is not near the grids so they cannot climb out.

Neither my current pair nor my last pair were interested in escaping the cage confines. The only exception is when Cam decided to try burrowing under the flooring towards the cage walls, though he's not bothered for a while, and lids wouldn't make much difference in those circumstances.

Boars are no more likely to escape just because they are boars, any piggy determined enough might give it a go!
The only time it is truly essential (other than if you do have a little Houdini or dogs/cats) is if there are sows in the room. Boars then will become very determined to escape to try to get into the cage with sows, so you will see a lot of mention of having a lid on boar cages for example when there is an accidental pregnancy and its time for the boars to be separated from the sows.

Last edited:
I've always had three separate boar pairs in C&C enclosures in their own room. Mine don't have lids on. They've never attempted to climb out or escape.
I agree with the above - if sows are present this will be a necessary measure.

Mine also have a reinforced, locked door to their bedroom, so that the dog cannot enter. If you have dogs/cats/other predators that could enter, a lid would be required.

Back