Diying current cage :)

kezzpott100

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have just gotten 2 male guinea pigs and already want to extend their cage. I got the ferplast 120cm with the plan I'd buy a bigger one in a few weeks but seems a shame to waste it. I've diyed a few cages in the past but what I have is 200cm worth of length 120cm take up. Anyone added extra to this cage and best recommendation? I'd like to order what I need and get this done before they start growing 😊 I was planning to attach an 80cm one after seeing someone attach 2 together but the 80cm and 120cm have different depths so not sure how I'd wok that and I'm trying to see how I'd fit an extra 120cm in an 80cm space 🤣

:wel:

I’m glad you’re expanding the cage now and not delaying. A 120 commercial cage is nowhere near big enough for a boar pair, not even while they are little. They need 180x60cm from the beginning. Expanding a cage after they have moved into it will set off a new round of dominance as they need to go through reestablishing their relationship in each new territory (which is why they should be in the right size cage as soon as you bring them home). It can be minimised by using soiled bedding once you expand the cage so that the new space smells like them.

Does it have to be a commercial cage or can you go open topped (ie if you don’t have cats or dogs).
The easiest way to expand a commercial cage is to simply add c&c grids to the front of the cage and then just leave the cage door open all the time so they can roam the whole area.

A commercial cage would be best as we do have a dog. I was thinking of zip tying the 80cm one to the cage so there's 2 together or if I can squeeze it in the 100cm. I got the 120cm as when I researched that is what came up as recommended 🙁 now I habe boars I see I'd be better off with bigger. If I diy 2 together I can have it up and running in 24 hours so limit the time in their current cage was my thinking 😊

I have had females before but a long time ago, I've never had boars 😅

A 120 is minimum welfare size so that is why it came up but it is really only minimum for two sows. Minimum for two boars is 150cm. The only commercial cage covering boar minimum is the ferplast plaza 160.

Yes once you’ve removed the two side panels you can zip tie them together. I’d recommend you also zip tie at the top as removing the side panels so they can join will mean it can lose a little rigidity. You can then put a ramp over the base so they can access both sides easily.

I have four boars myself. A 6 year old bonded pair, and then two 17 month olds who were a pair but sadly fell out and now live as neighbours.

If they are on fleece bedding them rub the soiled bedding in the existing half onto the new fleece in the new half to transfer scent.
If they are on disposable bedding, then literally just throw half of it into the new side and mix it up with some new to bulk out.

It will just help them recognise the whole space as their territory and can minimise disruption.
If they are new to you anyway ie within the last two weeks then they will still be in a period of restablishing their relationship since you brought them home in any event.

As you are new to boars, other than space the other important things are to ensure there are no dead ends in the cage. Make sure all hides have two exits so no piggy can be trapped inside by the other. Ensure two of every item and that hay piles are at opposite needs of the cages so they don’t have to eat together if they don’t want to

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Boars are fantastic little weirdos 😁. I am slave to the beastie boys, Dignified Sir George and his boisterous companion Mischievous Master Boris.

Phew ok good thing pets at home were open and uber exists 🤣 since I just got my piggies they haven't ventured away from their log so I've been sat quiet as a mouse attaching the two together. All the bedding from the pet shop I've sprinkled between both, 2 bowls, 2 botles, 2 hay racks etc. Does this look ok? 😊

Attachments

• 20240122_185758.webp
    20240122_185758.webp
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240122_185803.webp
    20240122_185803.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 4
Back