DIY Wooden Hides

Car.nelian

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

So I’m wanting to learn how to make my own hides for my guineas, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a safe way to combine wood pieces for them.

I’ve been watching a few videos and reading articles to learn about it, but I figured I’d ask and see if you guys had anything you could recommend.

I made a few (they weren't very good) and just used kid friendly PVA glue to stick the wooden pieces together.
I was always super careful to wipe off any excess glue and make sure none was exposed.
The piggies did nibble their hides, but never enough to ingest the glue.

But in all honesty I found that buying a few decent quality wooden hides laster my piggies pretty much their entire lives, so quickly gave up on trying to make them myself.

I made one out of a drawer - I cut it in half and cut 2 exits out and added a willow wall - I added a ramp and put a wooden bridge on top - it’s placed in a corner so no piggies can fall off - it’s worked really well

Attachments

• IMG_0615.webp
    IMG_0615.webp
    81.7 KB · Views: 8
My brother made one for me. He joined all the pieces with fancy joinery techniques that I don't understand though and just used a few short screws to connect the walls and top together so I'm not much help but I can show the photo
20210606_174309.webp

Back