DIY hay feeders

Faeryflax

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, we had been using loo
Rolls stuffed with hay as a quick way to add extra hay before school/work. our proper hay racks take time to fill so we do that later when there is more time. One of our 8 week old sows got her head and shoulders stuck in a loo roll today. She is fine and was rescued quickly. Does anyone have any safer alternatives that we can use as a quick hay top up and a bit of fun for them?

Hi all, we had been using loo
Rolls stuffed with hay as a quick way to add extra hay before school/work. our proper hay racks take time to fill so we do that later when there is more time. One of our 8 week old sows got her head and shoulders stuck in a loo roll today. She is fine and was rescued quickly. Does anyone have any safer alternatives that we can use as a quick hay top up and a bit of fun for them?

In terms of toilet roll safety, it’s advised to slit the roll open along its length and then fill with hay, that way it just opens wider if any pig tries to put their head in

I personally just throw loose piles of hay in directly onto the cage floor (mine do not like their hay restricted with feeders/racks etc)

Hello. I would just put a large pile of hay in. They can eat it, play, hide and sleep in it. Lots of fun for piggies.

Thanks everyone, they have a large pile of hay as well but soil it pretty quickly so we just put some fresh in small amounts to give them something to do and mess with during the day. I will try cutting one so that it will open should they go in it too far 😊

My piggies enjoy basins filled with hay. The boys will tip the basin on it’s side if they are feeling naughty or rambunctious. I have two basins as my boars tend to butt heads randomly. However, they generally eat from the same one.

Back