DIY drying rack for grass and forage

Cheekypigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
20230421_170638.webp
Thought people might find this helpful as an idea for a DIY rack for drying grass and forage for later use without it taking up too much space.

This is in our garage (which is also used as a potting shed, pardon the mess) - it's a nice warm dry place to dry things out. I've just built this from 8 C&C grids, the middle shelves are tied on with string but tape or cable ties would work just as well. Each shelf has a sheet of newspaper to keep the grass from falling through.

I'm planning to use this for sticky willy (cleavers/goosegrass/sticky weed) and stinging nettles, as well as extra long grass cut from the guinea pig garden.

How long does it take for the grass to dry?

In the summer I dry forage on the run lids outside in the sun. I've not had much luck with indoor drying. I did manage to dry bunches of nettles hung up in the greenhouse once but we had a spell of hot weather. The next time I tried it was too damp and they went moldy!

I'm lucky in that respect, your mileage will absolutely vary. A good place to dry things can be high up in a kitchen, as a lot of hot air gathers up there from ovens, fridges etc.

This is how l dry the grass for my piggies,tried to find the photos of the dandelions drying on my rotary line,but lost them. Drying in the sunshine and take them In to greenhouse at night .
Do you curl the grass into some kind of circle? Can it be dried on a very low heat in the oven?…

I remember a couple of years ago I let my garden grass way overgrown and when we were due sunny weather chopped it all and made my very own box of hay. The pigs devoured it, every last bit.

I have some grids that I use too sometimes but also have a dehydrator I use inside to dry bits. I really need to be more proactive with drying stuff for winter forage but I’m not very organised.

I like to cut my willow branches with leaves attached and make wreaths to dry. Last year I had a good supply over winter and Mr Degu loved them so much 💕

Ooh I was inspired to get my dehydrator out and now have some vetch, plantain, and bramble and sticky weed dried. I’ve also ordered some tubs to start storing it in to build up a stock for winter.

This is how l dry the grass for my piggies,tried to find the photos of the dandelions drying on my rotary line,but lost them. Drying in the sunshine and take them In to greenhouse at night .
I remember you posting those photos! Had quick search on here and found them in a thread titled Dandelions!?! started by Allena in April 2018! But I can't link to the thread on my phone.

Those with dehydrators, what else do you use them for?

Those with dehydrators, what else do you use them for?
I only use mine for drying animal forage!

It wasn’t a lot of money and means I can get stuff dried quickly on my days off. I don’t have other outside space like a green house to dry things nor do I have space in the house to have stuff hanging about so is mostly a convenience and ease tool.

What is the best way to store the dried forage? I live in a damp part of the country and only keep my heating on low, so would worry if would go mouldy or musty.

Ooh I was inspired to get my dehydrator out and now have some vetch, plantain, and bramble and sticky weed dried. I’ve also ordered some tubs to start storing it in to build up a stock for winter.
Dry fruit and vegetables in your dehydrator, when they are in abundance, and reduced, they store lovely in 5 gallon sealed buckets. (That I get free from our local bakery) I have a 7 shelf one and use it all the time, mostly for piggies food, lol.

What do you do with them once dried?

Back