DIY cage.. under sofa?

minipigthethird

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here today and am in a hutch dilemma.
(In case I've written too much to read - is there a minimum kind/safe height for a cage?)

I've recently got 3 boars and at the mo they're living in a 60x120 cage.
For now, I'm thinking of making a bespoke cage to fit next to my office which will be half under the stairs - so I wanted to know if there's a minimum height needed for a cage? It feels so cruel in writing! But I've seen that what they need is maximum flat land space, and they'll have lots of exercise time and love out of the cage.
But the other option is for the cage to slide under the sofa if we have people over... so it would be very rare, and they like a hidey.. but that way of the hutch I build has a removable side then i can attach a run and it'll span most of the room when it's just me as I work from home, and it's minimum space would then be about 170x80.. but it's height would be 20cm and I don't want them to be sad. I feel like it's obviously too low, but our house is only 2metres wide so I'm really scratching my head for where they'll have enough space to live. Current cage with a side run (doubles it to 120x120) but they have to go over a bridge to get across and haven't fancied it much.
I have lots of outdoor space, but they get so much more attention as indoor piggies.

Then I just need to work out how to build it!
Any help really appreciated

A c&c cage is 35cm high so I would not go lower than that.

As boar trios are notoriously difficult to get to work, ensure their permanent space covers at least 300x100cm. That allows one square metre of territory per piggy. Boar trios need much beyond normal cage sizing requirements. Plus a separation plan for if problems occur.

Unfortunately your current cage does not meet recommended minimum sizing for two boars (150x60 for two boars) and it is certainly too small for three.

Back