DIY cage out of household items

x_x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How can one make a cage if they have no options of C&C and the chances of a safe DIY wooden cage are low too. Is there any way one can use older house items and put them together to make a cage. Anybody who has put together a hutch/cage/playpen from simple household items, can you please share a photo.

(I have a cage, but my friend who also got guinea pigs can't seem to be able to buy any. Any ideas?)

If your friend has already got piggies, what sort of cage are they currently living in?

Do you have any sort of household items in mind?

A wood frame with wire mesh sides is a common type of DIY cage but I can’t think of much else which could be used and still be safe or suitable

Do you have second hand sites where you could get a cage cheaper?

I remember someone posted a picture of their cage made out of an old bookcase. The shelves were taken out and it was laid on its back on the floor. Obviously you would need to line it with something waterproof, and then put suitable absorbent bedding on top of the waterproof liner.

Reactions: Ven
I remember someone posted a picture of their cage made out of an old bookcase. The shelves were taken out and it was laid on its back on the floor. Obviously you would need to line it with something waterproof, and then put suitable absorbent bedding on top of the waterproof liner.
Yes this. If you have a large bookcase laid flat and some vinyl tablecloth for lining, I think you can be off to a good start. The one I made is out of IKEA bookcases.

Back