Disposing of compostable paper bedding in South Glos

HopsPopsAl

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all.
I see lots of discussions around bedding and what gets done with it. Although looks like a lot is dependent on the council, or more accurately the individual from the council you are dealing with at the time. I would like to use paper based (that's noted as compostable) but not sure about disposing in the garden waste bin. South Glos site says "pet bedding – rabbit and rodent only" but don't know if that includes paper based or just the wood variety.
Does anyone know the answer?
Thanks
Alan

It’s different all over the country. I am nit allowed to dispose of used hay bedding in my Green bin here in Cornwall. I would have thought it would have been perfect material for composting but no, no animal droppings of any kind. I understand why you wouldn’t want cat or dog waste but a herbivore produces the the perfect medium for composting. Luckily we have an allotment and a compost bin in the garden so most of it goes there

There's no bedding allowed in our garden waste bins either. I'll occasionally chuck hay in, but usually it's because I've bought a cheap bag and once opened, realised it's not worth feeding.

That said if wood shavings count as acceptable bedding, it's likely paper based bedding would too, but you'd be better off asking them directly.

Back