Disposable bedding help for holiday

AidaB

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi!
We are visiting relatives over the holidays & piggies are coming too.
Our boys have fleece bedding at home, but unfortunately we won’t be able to use the washing machine while with relatives (due to a relative with a skin condition).
I am currently thinking of making the piggies holiday accommodation half fleece half disposable bedding.
Any recommendations for short term disposable bedding? (Compostable a bonus!)
From reading the guides, and previous comments, I am wondering if Fitch might be best?
Any advice welcome.
Thank you.

If it’s only going to be temporary then I guess whatever you can get in smaller bags would be good.…unless you are planning on using it once you are back.

I personally use either aubiose or megazorb but they are 20kg and 85 litre bags respectively so last a while

Could you not still use fleece but bag it up and wash it on returning home?
Clearly that depends on how much fleece you have, I used to have our girls on wood shavings so not sure I can offer much help.

Could you not still use fleece but bag it up and wash it on returning home?
Clearly that depends on how much fleece you have, I used to have our girls on wood shavings so not sure I can offer much help.
Thank you. We have previously taken enough small fleece pads, to bring any washing home. The problem is the piggy stuff kind of takes over the car, and I was hoping to save a bit of room! 🤣

For temporary situations, I have occasionally put disposable puppy pads under the fleece. It depends on what kind of fleece you are using as to whether this saves space - I have just single layer fleece fabric which is normally put on separate absorbent layers. So for me just packing the fleece, hideys and a bag of disposable puppy pads is a good space saver (but the hay always takes a lot of room!) Damp fleece can be packed in the washing bag to bring home and puppy pads don't take much room in the bin for just a few days.

I'd vote for Megazorb except the bags would be bigger than what you'd need. Carefresh comes in small enough packages, but it's expensive compared to other options. I don't remember if they do Back2Nature in smaller bags than 20l, because those bags are bloody heavy and can take up a lot of room. And Back2Nature isn't many people's first choice of bedding anyway because it's recycled paper pellets, and they can be quite hard underfoot. Not scratchy, just solid (they break down when they get urinated on, kinda like wood pellet cat litter). Plus there's always wood shavings.

My personal vote would go for Carefresh, but it is expensive and there are cheaper options.

Back2Nature are nobbly but it is also super absorbent. It's the most absorbent thing we've found which is why we use it in the bedroom areas with a pile of hay on top. You can get 10, 20 or 30 kilo bags at about 6, 12 or 18 quid respectively. Our council lets you put it in the garden waste collection so some do, some don't.

Thank you everone.
I will look again at carefresh and back2nature. I read some really bad reviews on back2nature bedding which put me off.

I am really aprehensive about using woodshavings, mostly because we don't take the corex base on holidays, and just use plastic sheeting. Our hay trays are big but quite shallow, “boot” trays.

Back2Nature can feel quite hard and like it'd be uncomfortable underfoot, especially if you've never used it before, but as actual bedding goes, the boys never had an issue with it and it went a long, long way. Honestly I only stopped using it because I could only find it in the large bags and they really, really do weigh a ton. The bags are sold by volume rather than weight, so they can be heavier than you'd expect. And I lived on the first floor and had to climb up concrete stairs with them (never again!).

If you go with Carefresh, try to go for the Natural. They used to do a few others, but they were either just confetti, or they were more like cotton.

If you're on plastic sheeting short-term you might look at the disposable puppy pad option although you'll still need fleece on top because they can chew the pads. You'll be skittering round with B2N on smooth plastic! If you look in B&M they often have a cheaper bumper pack than Pets at Home... and both stores are often found in the same retail parks which is handy!

Thank you, yes we already buy packs of puppy pads from B&M for those spots that the boys favour for toileting in & saving holiday floors, along with newspaper insulation.
Also one of Hectors favourite activities is trying to find the puppy pads! 😂

I use puppy pads full time , with the blue noodle type mittens used for washing cars. I wash these in the washer in a zipped dog wash bag . If you do that and then run the washer ,empty on a hot wash cycle there will be nothing to exacerbate a skin problem

Back