• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Discovering odd sound!

Maeneth

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, hello!

My lovely bossy guineapig Tribble (He is a brush boy, hence the name!) is making some peculiar sounds which I have issues putting into words, I did however record a steady video and you can clearly hear it. I hope it is nothing concerning, I did take him to a vet, twice! If I have to believe the vet, he is perfectly healthy. Maybe I am overly worried because I love my little furries..

Tribble is quite active, loving his mate Onyx and he eats a whole lot of hay. I give them so much that it results in them playing in it! <3

Anyway, my question, is there a good way for me to upload my video and post it here or can I simply attach the file? :)

Kind regards,

Maeneth.

Hello and welcome. You will need to upload your video to a 3rd party site such as YouTube and post the link here. Unfortunately we cannot host videos directly on the forum. If you can post a link then I’m sure someone will take a look and listen and give you their opinion.

I did some quick research on the internet, and I found a useful website.

Link; 20241024_092558.mp4

Thanks for helping me.. :)

Hi and welcome

You mean the nose sound?

That is just a touch of stuffy nose and nothing to worry about.

Guinea pigs have very small and narrow airways. They are only not much in the way of mouth breathers (only when in acute respiratory distress). This means that the tiniest nasal obstruction can cause some alarming sounds. This becomes even more audible during eating as food and air do cross in the throat and have to time share so there is that bit more pressure on the breathing.

PS: We are not part of social media and run entirely on voluntary member donations and by doing what we are doing for free in our own free time. Not having a direct video upload is a small price for having total control over our friendly and supportive little place that is free to access.

Heii, heii!

Ahh, alright, that makes a whole lot of sense! I'll be honest, I am scared to lose Tribble because his little brother passed away earlier this year and it was devastating for myself and for my partner.

We got Tribble a new mate (Onyx) asap because he became restless and he would seek attention at every turn.

Again, thank you both for everything! :)

PS: When am I able to donate exactly, I did send an email a while ago because I do want to contribute but donations were closed at the time?

Heii, heii!

Ahh, alright, that makes a whole lot of sense! I'll be honest, I am scared to lose Tribble because his little brother passed away earlier this year and it was devastating for myself and for my partner.

We got Tribble a new mate (Onyx) asap because he became restless and he would seek attention at every turn.

Again, thank you both for everything! :)

PS: When am I able to donate exactly, I did send an email a while ago because I do want to contribute but donations were closed at the time?

Thank you.

We run this as a strict non-profit so any donations calls are open only when needed and close as soon as we have enough to pay any due fees; mainly for our technical and safety support for the coming year. You have just missed it. They aren't usually open for long; it's more like blink and miss it. We are blessed with a community who values the forum and gives generously according to what they can spare. :)

It is always tough in the wake of a death; the jitters are a normal part of it. We all experience them to a certain degree. Time will heal.

That's why we are all here for as a community. We understand and support each other as much as we help our piggies. We don't want to put a price on that because it is essentially priceless and we all profit from the mutual give and take.
But it is what makes us so different from social media, in addition to an unparalleled collective depth and breadth of experience from coming up to 20 years of forum existence plus personal experience which is going back for half a century for some of us. It has all gone into our various practical and informative guides on a wide range of subjects. :)

For bookmarking and browsing, reading and re-reading: Here is the access link to our information resource.
The guides format allows us to extend and update at need and whenever we have the time. Any book would be quickly outdated - and ours would be rather thick by now, anyway!

You can always 'donate' by having a kind word and some understanding for others in a comparable situation and by respecting that they are usually in stress or acute distress when they ask health questions. There are no 'silly' questions - there is always a valid need behind them that deserves to be taken seriously. :hug:

Yeah, I became quite vigilent when it comes to noises and behavior changes after I lost sweet Nibble (Tribble's younger brother). I have two piggies in the bedroom so I can monitor them and hear them munching hay! I have to say, it slowly became quite soothing to hear them graze whilst I fall asleep. They are both not overly noisy in general, or maybe I just sleep through it, hah!

My alarm is set early in the morning because of work life! When I am up, they both get quite excited because it means fresh vegetables are inbound (chicory)

I think this is a wonderful, warm community, I often lurk for advice and ideas. I should socialize on here. Yes, because there is so much information here, I am inclined to actually ask questions here after I went to a vet just in case. I want the very best for them both. :)

Yeah, I became quite vigilent when it comes to noises and behavior changes after I lost sweet Nibble (Tribble's younger brother). I have two piggies in the bedroom so I can monitor them and hear them munching hay! I have to say, it slowly became quite soothing to hear them graze whilst I fall asleep. They are both not overly noisy in general, or maybe I just sleep through it, hah!

My alarm is set early in the morning because of work life! When I am up, they both get quite excited because it means fresh vegetables are inbound (chicory)

I think this is a wonderful, warm community, I often lurk for advice and ideas. I should socialize on here. Yes, because there is so much information here, I am inclined to actually ask questions here after I went to a vet just in case. I want the very best for them both. :)

You are always welcome to start your own little blog thread about your boys in our Piggy Chat section (ideally you bookmark the thread so you can pick it up anytime) or post on our more humorous piggy threads in there. Or chat about anything else in General Chat. :)

You are always welcome to start your own little blog thread about your boys in our Piggy Chat section (ideally you bookmark the thread so you can pick it up anytime) or post on our more humorous piggy threads in there. Or chat about anything else in General Chat. :)
Yeah, that is an idea, I might do that! I shall have a look around first before I do anything. :)

Thanks again for everything.

Guinea pigs do like to worry us and you are not the only person who has been to the vet only to find nothing wrong.
We would love to get to know you better so browse the forum, find picture threads, chats and games as well as all the support and information.

Guinea pigs do like to worry us and you are not the only person who has been to the vet only to find nothing wrong.
We would love to get to know you better so browse the forum, find picture threads, chats and games as well as all the support and information.
I might do that! Eventually I shall post some sweet pictures and perhaps their backstory too, it'll be a fine read for the majority I think. 😊

Back