• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

discomfort when pooing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys in the last couple of days I have noticed that Fugly appears to have slight discomfort when pooing, after close observation it is when he does the edible poos, he makes a slight squeek as if its uncomfortable for him, rather like having a large poo (excuse me being graphic)

He is weeing fine with no problem, his normals poos are normal size and moist and he has no problem passing them.

Have checked for impaction and there is no sign of that all his boy bits look healthy.

All I can think of is that I am in the middle of switching him from Tesco purple bag food to P@H pellets, I have mixed a 3rd Tesco with 2 3rds pellets, I started him on this mix about 2 weeks ago, could it be upsetting his tummy? He is eating his fresh veg/fruit and hay as normal, he has never been a dried food fan but he is eating as much as he ever did.

The other thing is we are in the middle of having kitchen fitted and lots of decorating, the house has been very noisy lately and lots of strange people around, Fugly has been moved about alot as not one room has remained untouched, his routine has been interrupted, could it be stress?

Any ideas please let me know

Thanks

I would think that it could be the change in diet. Is he 'extracting' his poos? If so check his Incisors and see if they're OK, sometimes when they break them there's a sharp edge which can hurt a bit, to the extent that some stop bothering ::)

As the pellets are normal,I would think it unlikely that it is the diet.,and although he could be stressed,I do not think this would cause what you have described. I think the suggestion of a broken inscissor is a possibility.

Sometimes when my pigs are rummaging,they grunt and squeek,but this is normal.

I take it that Fugly has not lost weight and is acting normally?.

Yes ,a achange of diet could cause soft pellets in some piggies,but in this case,M said that Fugly`s pellets are normal.

OK thanks, I confused now cos she said his normal poos are a normal size ::) I'm guessing this has gone to PM :)

Karen his poos are normal, thats why its not the change of diet which has caused the problem?

This is my thought.If the diet was the problem I would have thought he would have soft pellets or even diarrheoa?.That is the only reason I said it might not be diet.,but the dietary change cannot be ruled out.

Yes he is extracting the poos, his teeth are fine, he hasnt lost any weight apart from the noise he seems perfectly healthy.

He does make squeaks when extracting them its just right at the end its more high pitched than normal, it sounds more uncomfortable than painful. Could this just be a normal noise making me worry?

If it is diet will it settle down once he is used to pellets, or should I go back to the Tesco food or try another alternative?

Again if stress once things settle down I guess it would go away.

karenrgpr said:
OK thanks, I confused now cos she said his normal poos are a normal size ::) I'm guessing this has gone to PM :)

What does gone to PM mean?

maisynpoppy said:
Karen his poos are normal, thats why its not the change of diet which has caused the problem?
His normal poos are normal :) is what the first post says, there are 2 types :)

As its a change in dry food perhaps that could account for a change the other way? (as in not going softer and I'm talking soft poos here not the normal ones ::) ) I've never known a change in the consistency of soft pellets- I've always known them as 'soft'.

I *think* the P@H one is higher in Protein and fibre than the Tesco if thats any use ?

M: I assumed Mary had taken it to Private Message as she said 'Fugly`s pellets are normal.' whereas in your post you said his 'normal pellets are normal', nothing about the soft ones :) Mary obviously knew more than me ;)

With you Karen, no Mary didnt know more than you, think you just read the post differently, have never seen his soft pellets as he eats them straight from his bum, nice.

You could be right that the change of food has made them harder, will they go back to normal after he is used to the new food? would assume it would like humans get used to diet changes may be wrong

I didn't even know whether or not they could change which is why I asked Mary, she says 'yes' so if its the food causing it it should go back to normal within a wekk or so I would imagine, but just watch him. Guins aren't normally that sensitive when changing foods (at least mine aren't ::) ) Are you mixing it in gradually? You could try feeding less dry food and more hay?

thanks will keep a close eye on him, he is my baby and I cant help worrying about him.

He has never really eaten a lot of dried food anyway, he much prefers to sit and munch hay.

Thanks Karen off to bed now, so will leave you in peace, for now anyway ;D ;D ;D

See you at the piggy PM

Oh love i'm sorry to read about little Fugly :'( :'(
Duke sends him some manly cuddles and heaps of gentle kisses from me :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
We hope it all sorts out real soon O0

thanks Glynis will pass them on.

Keeping an eye on him fingers crossed it sorts itself out.
O0 O0

just to let you all know I think it must have been down to change in diet that was causing Fugly discomfort, I have stuck with the pellets and for the last few days he has had no problems, so fingers crossed he is all sorted. :) :)

Aw glad he seems better :smitten: i was just thinking reading over it could it have been his back that was maybe sore as he was bending down to get them? not that it matters now he's ok :) xxxxx

never thought of the jnenbnb that is something to bear in mind, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back