Disabled owner

Lola70

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two male Guinea pigs.
I have been doing all of the things that you're supposed to do, at least the things that I'm physically able to do (I have Cerebral Palsy and am wheelchair bound). I'm not able to pick them up on my own. I sat by their cage literally all day, every day for two weeks talking to them. I hand feed them their daily veggies which goes well. They will sometimes sit on my lap but that isn't stable. I've had one boy since about January 22nd of this year and the other came a few weeks after that. They still won't let me touch them. My partner cleans their cage, gives them their hay, pellets, water and grass but they are my animals, not his. I tried a soft, wearable carrier JUST TO KEEP THEM FROM FALLING off of my lap, NOT TO CARRY THEM around! Someone told me that it wasn't good for them so I stopped trying to use that. I have searched for people in my situation and have found nothing. Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :)
Could you upload a picture/link of the wearable carrier you were using before? You never know, it might be safe to use after all.
You sound like an amazing owner by the way.

I have back pain and sometimes ( thankfully rarely) it means I can't carry them safely, so I essentially use a carrier or put them in a box ( with some fleece on the bottom and slide them across the floor. A wearable carrier sounds a good idea to stop them falling off your lap. As others have said, share a photo of it so members can let you know if it's OK.

A carrier sounds like an option. I've seen someone wearing a hoodie backwards with a piggy in the hood too! Like you say it's not a carrier, it's just an adaptation to help keep them safe. I used to sit mine on the sofa next to me sometimes where I could stroke them but they weren't on me (if I didn't want to get hair on me)

Hi and welcome

You sound like a very loving and considerate owner to me.

A suitable carrier that you can hold on your lap for touching and handling sounds like a good solution to me but we will be able to give you better feedback and tips once you have posted a picture.

PS: I have written this article last year about settling in new guinea pigs; it includes handling tips and timings. Here is the link:
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

Back