Difficulty interpreting body language in bonding

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It looks a bit tense between the two fluff balls; especially the white one. The shorthair is just a bit rude with Winston but not hostile. Winston is obviously not quite happy but is not pushing it at this stage.

Thank you. Yes Syrup is the white one, she wheeks loudly whenever Winston starts rumblestrutting and if he gets too close bares teeth and lunges. They‘ve all just had a nap in the bonding pen but winston was separate from the girls so i’m not really taking that as a good sign. Now they’re awake Syrup has lunged at Winston again. I’m really struggling to work out if it’s settling since when they’re eating hay together it’s all calm but the second he rumblestruts it gets tense and hostile.

Thank you. Yes Syrup is the white one, she wheeks loudly whenever Winston starts rumblestrutting and if he gets too close bares teeth and lunges. They‘ve all just had a nap in the bonding pen but winston was separate from the girls so i’m not really taking that as a good sign. Now they’re awake Syrup has lunged at Winston again. I’m really struggling to work out if it’s settling since when they’re eating hay together it’s all calm but the second he rumblestruts it gets tense and hostile.

Personally, I don't think Syrup is going to ever accept Winston. Not his fault; he is really sitting on his own manly urges.

😞 Syrup isn’t really happy is she, poor Winston, he such a lovely boar

Yes it’s definitely not improving and she’s now just sat away from Winston and Rosie and is repeatedly wheeking if either of them go near her. I would have been hopeful if the tension was calming down but unfortunately it has gotten worse as at the start she was sniffing noses with him ect.
Think I will separate them now and let the rescue know, thank you everyone!

Yes it’s definitely not improving and she’s now just sat away from Winston and Rosie and is repeatedly wheeking if either of them go near her. I would have been hopeful if the tension was calming down but unfortunately it has gotten worse as at the start she was sniffing noses with him ect.
So sorry for you both, 🤞next time it will be totally different for Winston

HUGS

The way I read Syrup, it is sadly only going to get worse, not better. Her body language is very tense, poor girl and Rosie is caught in between Winston and Syrup.

You can only ever try (which you have) but I would recommend to keep Rosie and Syrup as a pair in the future.

It is always gutting when a match that looks perfect on paper is not working out. It is important that you do not blame yourself; there is nothing you have done wrong. All you can ever do is try and persist in finding Winston his perfect match. It is out there somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it didn't work out. Bonding can be nerve wracking you have done so well to try. I wish you better luck next time.

The way I read Syrup, it is sadly only going to get worse, not better. Her body language is very tense, poor girl and Rosie is caught in between Winston and Syrup.

You can only ever try (which you have) but I would recommend to keep Rosie and Syrup as a pair in the future.
thank you, i will let the rescue know to make sure they are adopted out as a pair and to stay that way. I wonder if perhaps Syrup has had a bad experience with a boar in the past and thats why she’s so anxious.
Hopefully the next girls will be perfect for winston and he can be a happy husboar!

Syrup reminds me very much of my Breila, who never accepted another piggy except for her bestie Cerian (who has also refused a new mate since Breila passed away very suddenly over the weekend before Christmas a year ago. Breila was master lunger, as well while Cerian's trick was to nonstop power-hump any totally non-aggessive husboar I tried them with...

Syrup reminds me very much of my Breila, who never accepted another piggy except for her bestie Cerian (who has also refused a new mate since Breila passed away very suddenly over the weekend before Christmas a year ago. Breila was master lunger, as well while Cerian's trick was to nonstop power-hump any totally non-aggessive husboar I tried them with...
They all have such different personalities don’t they! I’m sorry you lost Breila, her and Cerian sound like some very cheeky piggies

Just wanted to pop a message here to let everyone know the rescue have a pair of sows coming in who are around 4-5 months, so I will be doing a swap once they get them to return Rosie and Syrup and collect the new girls :)

Just wanted to pop a message here to let everyone know the rescue have a pair of sows coming in who are around 4-5 months, so I will be doing a swap once they get them to return Rosie and Syrup and collect the new girls :)

All the best! Most sows at that age are very accepting of boars, so I am hoping for the best!

Back