• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Different problems for different breeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just wondered were abscesses more common in Abbies or malocclusion in agoutis or anything?

Duke's not any of these breeds he's a good ol' mixture, but it does make you wonder :-\ :-\ :-\
Seen as you've started this thread what if we all try to post what has happened to our piggies.... it may help somebody :)

If you like the idea we can keep on going :)

Rexes seem more prone to skin problems and have heard that their life span is not so long. Dont know if this is true.

Satins can have a whole host of problems due to their genetics.

Have not heard any other breed having particular problems. Be interesting to know what others have experienced.

Err i think you'd call Duke, well i'm not sure... i've never looked into this before
But i do think that the people that bred him didn't have any thoughts to his welfare...or Sully's i'm sure they were just a 'mistake' or 'too many to handle' :'( >:( >:( >:(

any thoughts what he might be? :o

Tipsy was an agouti and she had a tumour in her bowel.

Jin was a Roan, he had abscesses

Uncle-Ton has maloccusion

Guin is an america smooth coat with a cataract......

All different...........

This will be very interesting if we manage to draw any conclusions from it. Here are mine:

Ginger was an agouti - sudden death, I think due to her heart
Crunch was a self black - died of a gut torsion
Jenny was an agouti/white cross - died of a kidney problem

Sukie is a white coronet - has breathing problems, digestive problems and a growth in her eye (but still alive and kicking for now! :))

Is fatty eye more common in rexes? This is something I have seen a lot in my Rex and other peoples rexes but not in other piggys.

Dr was a golden agouti - malocclusion/ weight loss
Scarby was some sort of abi mix - CA liver. Original tumour removed with lobe of liver. CA returned and spread to bowel, causing septacaemia.

0:) 0:)

I've not had more skin troubles with any Rexes I've kept, though obviously they should be groomed regularly to stop stuff getting trapped in their coat...
Texels and Rexes are prone to Entropian (from birth), and I'd guess that this would be so of any of the Rexoids. I know some very old Rexes too...
Abys are said to be more prone to cataracts.
Agoutis said to be prone to heart problems (never had that problem with Agoiutis myself, but don't think I've had a Purebred Agouti!)
Some Satins develop Osteodystrophy a decalcifying of the bones disease see: Satin Guinea Pigs for more info and a downloadable leaflet. Have had a 5 year old Satin though with no OD.
Black Am Cresteds are prone to being delicious and Gorgeous :smitten:

That is very interesting to hear about Agoutis being prone to heart problems, as that was what I suspected my agouti died of (at a young age). I've always wanted another one, but now I'm not so sure! :o

Barmy4boars said:
Is fatty eye more common in rexes? This is something I have seen a lot in my Rex and other peoples rexes but not in other piggys.

never had this in my rexes over the years but must admit Rexes dont have a long life Henry was only 2 died unexpectedly Clara died same aged 3 Evee died same thing yet again no idea why for all 3 thats dad mum and daughter Evee was 2 but so far Violet another daughter is 3 and albie the only son is 2 he has a cateract in his eye, but both seem fine

A breeder I know has Rexes live till they're 7, 5 on average. I've had Am Cresteds with fatty eye (purbreds) and some mixed breed breed piggys. Pelicano, I would get a little oof what you fancy be it Agouti or Rex etc etc. I don't know if its only the purebred Agoutis that are prone or any pig that colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back