• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diarrhea?

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I suspect my guinea pig Dolly has diarrhea, and if not that then something is wrong with her stool/urine.

She just had surgery for a bladder stone in the beginning of September, so I'm not sure if it could be another UTI or if it really is diarrhea. Has anyone else treated diarrhea in their piggies?

My problem is that my vet doesn't open until Monday morning. There is a 24/7 emergency vet, is it worth it that I contact them and see what to do next? Or should I monitor Dolly until my vet opens on Monday? I will say that there has been no change in the pigs diet, except that I've been cutting back on the amount of
vegetables they get.

And to add, she's been eating and drinking just fine, I've only just noticed this today.

Please switch to daily weight checks so you can ensure she really is eating enough hay.

Severe runny diarrhoea is considered an emergency due to the risk of dehydration and should be seen by the vet today.

If her poop is soft but formed, please remove all veg from the diet. Increase fibre intake through extra hay and/or potentially the need to syringe feed if she is losing weight.

I hope she is ok

Please switch to daily weight checks so you can ensure she really is eating enough hay.

Severe runny diarrhoea is considered an emergency due to the risk of dehydration and should be seen by the vet today.

If her poop is soft but formed, please remove all veg from the diet. Increase fibre intake through extra hay and/or potentially the need to syringe feed if she is losing weight.

I hope she is ok

Thank you so much always for your help 🙏 I will be seeing what my vet says as soon as possible

Back