• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diabetes

Lila

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has a piggy with diabetes? My pig Cashew is 4 years old, and has started drinking a lot more over the last few months. At first I didn’t think anything of it because it was summer and we were having a heatwave. But now it’s cooled down and he’s started drinking even more. He’s drank a whole bottle of water in 24hrs, and his bottle isn’t exactly small. I’m starting to wonder if he could have diabetes? And advice or thought would be great

I can't give medical advice, but send support. It's great that you are monitoring his fluids. The best thing is to take your piggy, Cashew, for a vet check. I hope things turn out OK for your boy!

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has a piggy with diabetes? My pig Cashew is 4 years old, and has started drinking a lot more over the last few months. At first I didn’t think anything of it because it was summer and we were having a heatwave. But now it’s cooled down and he’s started drinking even more. He’s drank a whole bottle of water in 24hrs, and his bottle isn’t exactly small. I’m starting to wonder if he could have diabetes? And advice or thought would be great

Hi

Please have him vet checked this coming week for a potential infection and/or kidney problems first. They are a lot more common than diabetes, which is only on the table once they have all been excluded. Your vet will have a thorough examination and then work their way down the list.

Please see the relevant chapter in our drinking guide: All About Drinking And Bottles

Back