• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diabetes - What are the Symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wilbur had 2 UTI's in a short space of time (2nd one started 10 days after his 1st course of antibiotics)  & lost a considerable amount of weight.  His last course of antibiotics i gave him for 10 days & it cleared up. 
Since he's finished his 2nd course his appetite has returned & he's eating all his veg, hay, dry food & is generally looking much much happier.
However, i've noticed the past few days that his water intake has hugely increased-he's drinking approx 200-300mls a day if not more. At first i thought it was because of the heat in the house, before getting ill he was living outside in the shed, now i'm not too sure & altho' he's eating he's lost more weight, surely he should be gaining weight.

Does this sound like diabetes?  If so, can this be treated?  I don't want to take him to the vet & she say there's nothing they can give him & he'd have to be pts as he's happy & was pinging around the run today with the rest of the boys.

Should i take him regardless?  Could it be something else?

It is probably just the heat, however, I would pop him down the vets as you are concerned, it wouldn't do any harm. He has got some syptoms, however, if he has got diabetes he won't need to be pts, many guineas live normal lives. What food do you feed him? What is his diet in general? :)

This link will take you to two more links giving you some information on diabetes.

http://www.guinealynx.info/links.html#diabetes

Hope this helps. :)

Cavy Crazy said:
however, if he has got diabetes he won't need to be pts, many guineas live normal lives.

That's a huge weight off my mind, thanks :)

All my piggies are on Wilkinson's piggy food, which i suspect is Gerty. I have tried many many times to change them over without success; they all refuse & lose weight  ::)
They all have a mix of at least 6 veg a day; tomatoes, carrot, celery, spring green, broccoli, cucumber, kale, mixed lettuces & beetroot. Fruits; apple, pear, melon (2-3x a week) & banana (now & again) they also have a mix of 2-3 herbs (basil, mint, parsley dill, corriander or thyme) twice a week & a never-ending supply of meadow hay & forage exel

Apart from their cereal their diet is really good. You should change their cereal, this cereal has been a suspect for causing diabetes for quite a while now. I would get him checked out before it is to late, not saying there is anything wrong with him but just to put your mind at rest and if their is something wrong he can be treated how before he becomes more ill. Better safe then sorry. O0

I was told by Vedra at the CCT that the only problem with Gerty Guinea pig is that if piggies are fed on it and then tested for diabetes it can cause a false positive result. Then if insulin is given (which isn't really needed) it can kill the piggy. She said it certainly isn't the cause of diabetes.

Cavy Crazy said:
Apart from their cereal their diet is really good. You should change their cereal, this cereal has been a suspect for causing diabetes for quite a while now. I would get him checked out before it is to late, not saying there is anything wrong with him but just to put your mind at rest and if their is something wrong he can be treated how before he becomes more ill. Better safe then sorry. O0

I know i should change their dry food, it's getting the b*ggers to eat it, i have tried; Wagg Crunch, Wagg Optimum Pellets, Super Guinea Exel Pellets, Tesco Muesli & P@H Pellets. I've tried mixing it, putting half & half in their bowls & tried just giving them the "new stuff" & every single time they leave it & lose weight so rather than have them lose weight i gave in & gave them "their" food.
I have got a bag of Wagg Optimum Pellets that i used to soften with water & syringe feed Wilbur, i'll try them all again & cross my fingers & Wilbur will be going to the vets, it'll put my mind at ease & i found the link you gave me very informative, thank you :)

That is true, however, I have been told it is as suspect yet there is no rock hard evidence. If I have heard there is a chance of a product causing health issues I don't use them, however, no there is no rock hard evidence yet I haven't said this, I have said that it is a suspect. O0

My worry is that if Niki gets Wilbur tested and it should show a positive result she should be very careful. A lot of vets don't realise that this can happen. It would be awful if he was treated for something he didn't really have with dire consequences.

furryfriends said:
I was told by Vedra at the CCT that the only problem with Gerty Guinea pig is that if piggies are fed on it and then tested for diabetes it can cause a false positive result. Then if insulin is given (which isn't really needed) it can kill the piggy. She said it certainly isn't the cause of diabetes.

That is correct Furryfriends. If you feed Gerty and are taking piggy for a urine test you should leave him off it for a fortnight (I think) before the test or it will read false and incorrect treatment will be given. Its not just Gerty that does this but any food with articial colourings.

furryfriends said:
My worry is that if Niki gets Wilbur tested and it should show a positive result she should be very careful. A lot of vets don't realise that this can happen. It would be awful if he was treated for something he didn't really have with dire consequences.

Of course. O0

karenrgpr said:
furryfriends said:

That is correct Furryfriends. If you feed Gerty and are taking piggy for a urine test you should leave him off it for a fortnight (I think) before the test or it will read false and incorrect treatment will be given. Its not just Gerty that does this but any food with articial colourings.

thats right...she said it was to do with the colourings used. She actually said her preferred choice of food is Pets at Home Muesli which i was surprised at. I thought she would have said she preferred the nuggets.

She did say though that she had heard about a number of piggies who had died after being given insulin when it wasn't needed.

After seeing this i think i'll hold off taking him just yet, just incase my suspicions are right regarding the food & i'll get some p@h muesli (again LOL) & will try to switch them & then take him :)

Perhaps give him some Probiotics to re establish things again. Drinking lots of water can be lots of things not necessarily diabetes. Get him out on the grass :)

karenrgpr said:
Perhaps give him some Probiotics to re establish things again. Drinking lots of water can be lots of things not necessarily diabetes. Get him out on the grass :)

I will & thank you, he's been out on it today with the other boys & was a true gent  :)

Once you have filled his bottle up monitor how much he drinks within a twenty-four hour time period, if that is possible. O0

OMG Niki i just saw this post :o :o
Give little Wilbur a huge kiss for me :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Let me know what happens we'll keep our paws crossed for you and Wilbur :-* :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back