• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

dewlaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am worried as my guineapig Luna has a dewlap. which is basically a fat store on their chests (for those that don't know) i am worried as i have never seen a guineapig with one before

I'm sorry - ive never heard of dewlaps, but ive not got much experience

Do you have a picture?

I am not aware of piggys having dewlaps - only bunnys. A picture may help someone recognise what it is. If you are worried then you may want to get her checked by a vet to make sure it isn't anything sinister going on.

kind of a saggy chin you mean? like a rabbit?

Bubbles has a double chin developing but she doesnt stuff her face,it looks kinda cute

Is it the kind of mono-boob thing rabbits get (sorry but can't think of any other way to describe!)? if it is some of mine (animals NOT me!)seem to have this...

Just been having a relaxing bath whilst reading Peter Gurney's Proper Care of Guinea pigs (I do this sometimes ;)) and he does make mention to the dewlap. In the context that he was talking he was mentioning the dewlap getting wet when there are teeth problems etc.

So, I am guessing the piggys have the dewlap in the same way that rabbits do though obviously not as 'obvious'. In rabbits there are a few things that can cause the dewlap to get bigger or smaller - no idea if the same reasons apply to piggys though.

hils78 - love the description 'mono-boob' ;D

hils78 said:
Is it the kind of mono-boob thing rabbits get (sorry but can't think of any other way to describe!)? if it is some of mine (animals NOT me!)seem to have this...

lol@ mono boob

i can only see it when she curls up into a ball and all her fat (there isn't loads) gets squished into differant places and she looks like a ball, but she only weighs 700g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back