Detangler For Guinea Pigs With Long Hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuteAsAButton

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 peruvian boars ans a coronet boar, I brush their long hair regularly but they still get tangles. Is there anything I could use as a detangler spray? I've seen detanglers for dogs but not sure if they are piggy safe. Any ideas?

I wouldn't use a detangler spray. Do you trim their hair? Invest in a cheap pair of hair scissors. Trimming their hair to be at or just above floor length is a great way to keep their hair clean and tidy, and makes grooming so much easier. Hair dragging along the floor creates tangles.

P.S. Be sure to keep the hair around their bum extra short. :)

I do trim their hair but it still gets knotty, I think I'll try using a wide toothed comb instead of a brush. Might work better at getting the tangles out.

I have 2 peruvian boars ans a coronet boar, I brush their long hair regularly but they still get tangles. Is there anything I could use as a detangler spray? I've seen detanglers for dogs but not sure if they are piggy safe. Any ideas?

I would recommend to use Gorgeous Guinea shampoo with a safe conditioner.
Posh n Go Conditioning Shampoo 250ml

Personally, I cut my long-hairs short at the bum end and sides and especially around the genitalia in order to prevent matting and allow them to live a full piggy life. You may also want to look at the bedding. Some of it more conducive to matting that others.

I really struggle to trim my long haired boys as they don't like it and jump about and I don't have anyone to help me trim them. So I discovered the "scaredy cut" the other day. It was quite expensive and aimed at dogs but I can use it with one hand to trim the piggies and I know I'm not going to hurt them. I've used it on Buddy and trimmed his back end (a feat I've never managed before!) image.webp

I bathe my coronet sow once a month followed by a hair cut- i comb her once a week (which is actually less than recommended) but she has literally never had one knot which is why i only do it this frequently. I use johnsons small animal shampoo which is just a run of the mill gpig product- but her hair is in excellent condition.

I would keep with the soft bristled brush- long toothed metal combs aren't recommended for long haired piggies as it will pull on any tugs and make it uncomfortable, the soft brush makes for a pleasant groom!

I do keep mallows hair short which is probably why she literally never tangles.. How short do you trim the hair? This was mallows most recent cut just yesterday.

Before
image.webp

image.webp

After
image.webp
image.webp

image.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back