• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Desperately need advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marie

i'm sat here with one of my boars wrapped in a towel, i found him today lay on his side unable to stand himself up, i immediately panicked and tried to call a vet.. of course no money on my mobile, I'm now sat here waiting for my boyfriend to come home so he can take him to the vets. The thing is; i have no idea whats wrong with him,yesterday i noticed he had lost a little bit of weight and so i kept an eye on him, he always eats plenty and is always popcorning and playing and today i just find him laying there on his side with his head under his bedding. i picked him up and wrapped him up in a towel, hes moving his legs and head every now and then but its as if he has not got enough strength to pick himself up, I'm all emotional and have no idea what to do until my boyfriend gets back. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marie, I'm so sorry. I am not experienced enough to advise you but I know a lot of the guys on the forum will be able to. Good luck at the vets and keep us posted.

Marie, keep him warm. Do you have a hot water bottle? Wrap it in a towel and sit him on it, if he's not moving don't let him lay in one position for too long- turn him over. Offer him water either by bottle or if you can by syringe in at the side of the mouth- but not if you are unhappy doing this. If he's eating, hand feed him, if not tempt him with anything to keep his gut moving.
Good luck at the vets, Karen

I'm keeping him close to me and he seems warm, Ive tried to feed him with the bottle he had the tiniest bit and then struggled away from it. ive tried tempting him with all sorts but hes not interested, his little legs are moving as if hes walking but he still cant stand. tyvm for your help i will be sure to keep trying to feed him, move himand kkep him warm.

I hope he'l be ok. Sounds like he needs to see a vet asap though. What time does your BF get home?

Sadly he passed away during the journey, i'm heartbroken and i've just been cuddling his companion, not really sure what to do at the moment :'(

Oh dear i'm sorry, did you even get to speak to the vet for an idea of what may've been wrong?

(((((Hugs to you)))))

RIP Little man :-*

I felt too upset to carry on to the vets so I went to my parents house (nothing like a hug from your mum). :'(

that has happened to me many times over the years, as soon as i read your first discription I knew he would'nt make it, that comes from many years of my own experiences, it could well have been anything like a heart attack or heart problem a stroke but it was a major thing to happen like that and probably nothing you could have done, so dont beat yourself up over it, its the worst possible thing with keeping guinea pigs they can go just like that very unpredictable, we all feel so bad for you becasue we know exactly how awlful you feel and yes mum knows how to make you feel a little better, God bless little man :'(

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone for your advice and kind words, it really did help. <3

Sorry to read this Marie, as MM said there's nothing you can do. There does come a point when you know the enevitable is going to happen but you need to see it to know it :'( At leat he was comfortable, warm and you didn't have to make any horrible decisions.
How is his hutchmate?

His hutchmate is eating and drinking normally but hes usually very talkative and I haven't heard one squeak from him since I took poor Luda out yesterday, I put a ball of hay in his bedding where Luda would usually lie as they used to snuggle up together and he seemed ok with that.

Give him a Hug form me, I hope something can be sorted for him soon :-*

Sorry to hear of your loss :(

I'm the same as MM, when I read your post I immediately knew he was in the process of dying but obviously didn't want to post and upset you by saying he was going to die :(

Kat

:'(poor little man, and poor you :'( :'(
I'm going to cry over you heartbreaking story :( life aint fair

RIP XxXxXxXxXx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back