Design my shed

• Thread starter Thread starter Sophie1307
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sophie1307

I need some ideas for the shed pleaaase :)

I have a 18 x 5 shed which has 10 piggies inside.
When the summer arrives they are going to go outside. Whilst they are out I want to completely take everything out the shed and start again.
I was thinking of making it look really good in there but i'm not sure what kind of cages to have.
I thought of C&C which I know can be breezy but I have insulation and a heater. So if I did have c&c i'd turn the heater up a bit so it was a bit warmer.
I really like the idea of this (pics at the bottom of the page): http://www.cozycavy.com/3.html
But with it risen up. How do you get inside the bottom/middle cages though? do you have opening grids somewhere? ? ?
All the C&C would have profleece/fleece blankets inside them cos shavings are doing my head in. ::)

Any other ideas welcome...? ;D

Sophie :)

Think of cleaning it though Sophie would be a nightmare, but if you are prepared for that then go for it. :)

Wow and 18 x 5 shed gives lots of possibilities. Have you got a handy man/woman in the family? We are hoping to construct some hutches out of laminated wood when the new shed comes with internal doors as the outdside structue of a block saves on money as most materials come from free cycle, we will make it as posh as possible but it may not be quite as pretty as a purchased block, but will be more hygenic with the laminate for cleaning. As Sunshine said when you are thinking of designs make sure they are practical for cleaning worst thing is to invest in what seems like a good idea but then realise it is not functional.
The doors are going to be 6ft by 2ft bases covered in lino and the sides and top of the block with laminate kitchen cupboard doors adapted at cage fronts either hinged at the top or bottom or totally lift out with kick boards to keep things tidy.
We need to adapt the hutches in our current shed as the are outdoor hutches with side hinge doors some of which can make access an interesting limbo excersize at present.
Once our new shed comes it wil be a massive sort out for both sheds to make everything practical ;D

once the weather warms up all my chaps will be coming out the shed 7x9
That C+C set up would be good i use vet bed and fleece that would be easier (less waste)
Not sure how high you could go with the cages

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I don't like the cleaning idea with stacked c&c's.
Perhaps I could do 2 or 3 levels of really long built in hutches instead and use underneath them for storage.
My dad could help me, but he is usually quite busy so I should imagine it would be me and my sister's boyfriend helping (possibly my older sister too?)
I'm a bit worried about lighting cos I only have two windows in there so the hutches would probably be quite high up (i'm tall anyway (5'9'')) to get the best lighting. I don't really want any down near the floor cos it would be too dark and my back kills me as it is ;D. ::)
Can you use fleece in wooden cages then if you line the cage with correx or something?
whats the best wood to use to make good quality cages? :P (sorry I don't really know my stuff when it comes to d.i.y)

I use fleece in my hutch with no problems at all. I line the floor with newspapers and put newspapers in between the layers of fleece -nice and cosy!

What do you think of this design?
sheddesign.jpg

Theres two 6 x 2 cages on both levels
the corner ones are 7 x 2 if you stretch them out but ive done it going round a corner for more room.
I could the space under the hutches for storage?

I got a bit carried away and made this grooming table with scales, gg products and a weight sheet on the side ;D ;D LOL!
ShedGT.jpg

sorry I think i'm going crazy ;D

Wow you are very artisitic!

I love these designs on this site:

http://lispet.de/hp/randy.htm

Along similar lines but perspex at the front would let in more light? May not be as expensive to build either!

they look fantastic! :o :o thanks for that website lavenderjade O0 :)

I love some of the designs on there-that site is in my favourites ;D
One day I will have a guinea pig castle :D

That is a fantastic setup you look very organised it looks really good in the house so will you be moving the piggies for the whole of summer into the shed and leaving all those cages empty ready for the winter and how often do you clean them out :smitten: :smitten:

Thats not what it looks like at the moment :). Its a bit of a tip in there atm ;D, I'm planning to build that in the summer whilst they are outside then it'll be nice and warm in the winter (or earlier) for them to move back in to.
Because the cages (in the shed) will have profleece in there I'll have to clean them every 2-3 days. :) O0

Glad you said those were scales in the picture...cause i thought it was a playstation one! Thought you may be taking entertainment too far with your piggies! :D

LMAO BMFlex ;D ;D

If you come round and look at the shed when its finished you'll see flatscreen tvs in the cages with mini PS3s ;D They even got their own little sofas lol ;D

Sophie1307 said:
http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?h...de/hp/lucy.htm&prev=/search?q=lispet.de&hl=en

If decided to do that one ^^
What materials should I use, I don't think you can get Plastic chipboard here can you?
Does anyone know if the glass panels are expensive? :)

Thanks

I think the panels are perspex, not glass and you can buy perspex sheets in places like B & Q. you can cut them to size with a sharp stanley knife too but use some fine sandpaper to smooth the sharp edges. Make sure they are tall enough so that the piggies cant jump over, I would say 15" high. My grids are 14" high and are fine as long as there is nothing they can climb on near the edge!

I wouldnt recommend chipboard as the piggies may chew it, you could use simple pine timber which would be easier to put together and safe too :)

Thanks alot Lavenderjade O0 !
I think i'll do the pannels about 16'' high - Nellie can jump over the 14'' grids. ::) ;D

Went in Focus this morning and found the wood I need. Mum is gonna pay for it all to be done when we move, otherwise we will have a bit of a job moving the shed ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back