• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dermisol

• Thread starter Thread starter popper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

popper

Has anyone got any experience of using Dermasol on piggies? I hadn't heard of it before Basil was prescribed it on Monday. When I looked it up on the internet, I found it is manufactured for use in horses, cattle, dogs and cats (to wash away necrotic tissue, coagulum, debris or wax). It does seem to be doing the business in washing out Basil's infection. But stinks a bit if you get it on your hands!

I have used Dermisol on my piggies. Most medications(and feeds) for horses are safe for piggies.

Thanks, maryh. Did you use it for cleaning out abscess sites or something else? Did you find it effective?

I used it to clean an infected would.I did not find it all that affective.I now use diluted Hibitane to back flush abcesses and to clean wounds.High potency Manuka honey is also good to clean and heal necrotic wounds.

Thanks, MaryH. The Dermisol seems to be flushing well at the moment and has certainly brought out some pus with it. I am going to give it a few more days and see what happens.

I am at a bit of a loss to understand why this has lasted as it has. He was operated on at the end of April, the first infection became apparent about three weeks post op (I'm guessing it was always there, but took that long to become obvious externally) and then appeared to heal and now we are dealing with another one.

Basil seems fine in himself - eating and eliminating well, etc, so I am not too worried just now, but I know how these things can turn and am keeping a very close eye.

Yes.keep on using the Dermisol if it is working.Abcesses,especially in the neck area can reoccur.,and all you can do is lance and back flush.I have found that anti biotics are not all that useful against the abcess bacteria.,but of course with a persistant abcess they are worth a try.
You could try putting some high potency Manuka honey into the hole,I know several people who have had some success with this.I always keep a jar in my first aid box because it is very good for clearing up necrotic tissue.Honey does not deteriorate so it can be kept for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back