• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental problems and feeding problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Carliet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carliet

Does anyone have experience with longterm care of guineas with dental problems?

Our 4 year old guinea was diagnosed by a cavy-friendly vet with overgrowth of back teeth, with entrapped tongue, plus one missing lower incisor about 3 months ago. He had surgery to trim molars, but never got back to eating pellets or greens. He was also given antibiotic and pain meds postop. We were feeding him with a syringe for about a week, then he would take softened pellets or soft fruit from a spoon or a shallow bowl, but always with difficulty. After about 4 weeks, he again had increasing problems eating and was referred to a 2nd cavy friendly vet, who diagnosed regrowth and did a second molar trim, plus postop antibiotic and pain meds. That was 3 weeks ago. During most of the time since that surgery, he has required syringe feeding of the Oxbow Critical care. Even so he has lost weight. He will try to eat soft fruits, and the occasional hard pellet, but can't eat greens or effectively nourish himself. My questions are:

1. Does this story sounds like typical overgrowth of teeth, or some other problem? I read others who described their pigs getting back to normal between trimmings, and our pig never has.

2. Does anyone have experience with long term survival of pigs who must be maintained on syringe feedings?

Any comments from those with similar experiences would be appreciated.

Hello,

First of all let me welcome you to the forum.

This does sound exactly like my George when he had tooth problems. It sounds like he will need regular tooth trims from now on. In between times you will have to syringe feed him to make sure he gets all his nutrients. I fed George on Galens Garden Nutri powder (its expensive but it was the only one he would eat). Critical care is just as good. In between syringes cut up some veggies small and try to get him to eat them. He will need to eat something that will keep his teeth ground down. Still give him food in his cage so that he can feed himself if he can though. Unfortunately, George never got back to normal and had to have this till he died but he was as happy as he could be.
I know that Glynis has the same problem with Duke. Hopefully she will be here later and will give you some more advice.
You are lucky to have a guinea friendly vet. George had to go and live with the rodentiologist in the end because I couldn't give him the care he needed.
I hope I have been of some help. Good luck xx

Hi there and welcome from us in OZ :)

Thanks Deb, yes we can both sympathise with you, both our beautiful piggies have had this problem :( (RIP George :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: a beautiful little man, sadly missed but never ever forgotten)
I have been fortunate enough to have our little boy keep on going after more than a year on syringe feeding and regular toofie trims.
It's not an easy road to travel, one day he'll be good the next down, it's an emotional time, but if you're prepared to have a go, well you hopefully will reap the rewards with a piggie who will eventually learn to eat again.

PM me and i'll chat to you for hours on the subject if you like :) More than happy to share any experiences or situations that we might find similar...
I've been thru this sooo many times, the best i can describe is be patient but keep on trying and encouraging your piggie to eat. As long as they're eating small amounts each day of pellets, hay or leafies it will help. I too have found that there's times when days will go past and Duke has not touched barely a thing other than his CC syringe feeds, try not to be discouraged... if your piggie is strong willed and has what i call an 'attitude' then keep on going as long as you can.
Now i'm wishing you and your beautiful little 4 year young piggie (btw Duke is now 5 years 7 months young) all the very very best :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Hugs for you cause it's not an easy track to take..try to keep positive it does help :smitten:

Hi there, my little Monty has tooth problems, his back teeth need to be trimmed every few months. He has only been a few times so far but I am in the process of finding a vet that does not need to give him an anaesthetic every time as it is a big concern. I dont have to do much of the syringe feeding because as soon as he is home from the vets he dives straight into the food bowl! I have found mixing critical care with warm water is the best thing for syringe feeding, Monty wont touch it if its cold! Good luck with your piggie :smitten:

Thanks for the encouragement from all. He is doing better but still needing the syringe feeding. At least I am not worried that this is something very unusual and more serious.

I don't have any personal experience in this area, all i no is that vets i work at is also a dental referral centre and the one vet does lots of dentals on rabbits and piggies, if they are finding it hard to eat we give them baby food, the fruit and veg one. They love it and it can be syringe fed if need.

Keep up the hard work, my thoughts are with you.

A friend of mine had her pigs teeth regularly trimmed and towards the time trimming was necessary syringe feeding was too. Oxbow Critical contains all the fibre they need as does Galens GardenGalens Garden Grass meal (which I like to use as an alternative). Try and find a rodentologist or vet that does teeth without anaesthetic, particularly if its done regularly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back