• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Issues

Piggymum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys

I’m after some advice. My Benny boy started having dental issues last November - since then he has had his back teeth sorted in March and then 13th June. He needs dental again and is booked in for Monday coming - he doesn’t seem to be eating his hay even though I’ve tried all types including hay balls. He is eating his veg and peppers very slowly but is struggling . I'm topping him up with critical care at the moment which he is loving ! Has anyone any advice please x

Hi guys

I’m after some advice. My Benny boy started having dental issues last November - since then he has had his back teeth sorted in March and then 13th June. He needs dental again and is booked in for Monday coming - he doesn’t seem to be eating his hay even though I’ve tried all types including hay balls. He is eating his veg and peppers very slowly but is struggling . I'm topping him up with critical care at the moment which he is loving ! Has anyone any advice please x

Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, unless the dental is correctly done by an experienced vet, piggies will struggle to eat on their own and epsecially chew tough hay fibre. It also depends on whether you are dealing with misalignment and a permanent dental issue or one that can be corrected.
in the latter case the ideal treatment would be to have the next dental (with minimal or without sedation) as soon as the teeth start overgrowing again, every 2-3 weeks with gradually longer intervals;but that relies on him being able to eat normally.

Please see whether your boy is able to eat fresh green grass; it often goes down that bit better than hard hay, especially timothy. If it is not part of his diet, you need to introduce it slowly. Continue to manage his top up with syringe feeding, if necessary from a bowl if he is loving it.
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Thank you for your help x
After Benny has his dental he eats fine for a while and I can tell when his teeth are becoming overgrown because he clicks them - I’ll check with my vet on Monday about misalignment. I haven’t got a lawn but if I remember rightly you can get grass kits to grow indoors which I’ll try next 👍🏻 hopefully I’ll get a bit more info on Monday. Thank you again.
(Here’s a pic of Billy and Benny sharing coriander 🥰 )

Attachments

• 4c1587dd-52b5-4b6c-b1ec-b78f71ebb97a.webp
    4c1587dd-52b5-4b6c-b1ec-b78f71ebb97a.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 1
Back